Why wont she lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by laughingllama75, Dec 21, 2009.

1. laughingllama75

laughingllama75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    NH
    I have a Showgirl pullet that is 9 months old. been WAITING (not very patiently! [​IMG]) for her first egg. I go to bed every night, praying for a gift from my little girl. Maybe for Christmas? [​IMG]

2. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Do you have a light on her? Sometimes with the daylight hours being less this time of year it will delay laying. Also if you dont have a rooster with her you might put one in there, sometimes the mating will help kick start her.

3. FarmerChick

FarmerChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    North Carolina
    what is a Showgirl?

never heard of this one....lol

I know that buff orphingtons etc can take a long time to lay well over the 18-22 weeks for other breeds.

9 mos. would be 36 weeks.

4. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    We have an Araucana hen that I have been waiting and waiting and WAITING for.

Every day I ask her nicely, are you going to lay me an egg?

I feel your pain.

LOL

5. laughingllama75

laughingllama75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    NH
    Thanks for the replies........

Yes, they have light 18 hours a day (I show some of my birds, and the others produce eggs)

thier coop/stall is insulated against the cold/drafts, but yes....is is still cold.

She was with a showgirl rooster, and I think she was intimidated by him. She was so quiet and sat in a corner. now that she is out in "general population" she acts like a normal chicken.

What is a Showgirl? Helloooooo............ only the cutest chicken ever!!!! LOL. they are a naked neck silkie.
    here is Bonsai the hen:
    [​IMG]
    the rooster:
    [​IMG]

6. FarmerChick

FarmerChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    North Carolina
    OMG I would run from that if it came at me!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by