Why wont the fox go in the trap??

Quote:
my coop is pretty safe, not that I would try it out. I just like to free range my hens and mr. fox is putting a damper on it
I would love to set up one of those traps but my neighbor wouldn't be too impressed when he found his cat in it
lau.gif
he is not a bad cat though... the kids like him anyway

I looked around about how to get rid of them...we don't have animal control because we are right smack in the middle of two municipalities. at least if we have one no one knows about it.
how Do I get rid of this guy???
I read somewhere (can't remember where) that male urine would deter them
will peeing around the lot really help? will I have to re-apply often?

30LB bow with a broadhead would be plenty for a Fox. TSC has a live trap that contains a cage to put live bait into. That might be the push the fox needs to take those final steps. The bait cage should keep your live bait (chick) safe.

Quote:
I need to get my aim straight then, and figure out how far it can throw. the closest it's came is about 100 feet to the porch. if I come to close he will run away.
we've spent too much on chickens this year already, haha

Last edited:
Cover the wire bottom of the trap with soil or sand as fox do not like to walk on the wire. Take some brown or grey fake fur and make a little retangular piece about 2.5 x3 inches and glue some big plastic doll eyes on it. You can usually find them at Hobby Lobby on the cheap. Hang from a wire over the trap pan with the eyes looking at the open end of the trap. Bait the trap with raw chicken or even sardines. Put brush around the back and sides of the trap. It has worked for us over the years.
wink.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I hate to say this but sly as a fox is a saying for a reason..... They're not stupid animals. If they since that it's even slightly dodgy they won't go near it. Might be different with a live bird though I'm sure you wouldn't want to put a live bird in in it but I'm pretty sure that carrion is not the MOST attractive option for them unless it's their only one!

that's probably exactly it! he probably won't touch the dead one I put in there when he is looking at 14 plump live ones a few feet away. how do I solve this problem.....

I did not catch but 50 of them last year I must have been catching the dumb ones I set 2 traps last week I had 2 fox the next morning if they are coming into your yard your scent is not bothering them . For fox you need a trap roughly 450 mm X 450 MM X 900 MM beings you are in canada I assume the fox you are trying to catch is a red fox ? if so a "dirt hole set" is your best bet a number 1 1/2 coil spring trap is the quickest way to do it. Try googleing "drift fencing red fox cage trap" the top link will give you a picture of but one way I catch foxes, dirt hole set, indian bait hole set ,flat set and p post set are in my arsenal as well and they work well

It took quite a few nights before I caught this gray. Yours is a red but not sure how much difference it makes. I built this trap from scratch and it works better than any havahart I have used. Just be persistent and you will catch him. Use sardines. Mr. Fox loves him some sardines. Ask me how I know this
smile.png

76677_248676_10150199218298527_697538526_7072305_3864565_n.jpg

76677_254414_10150199218383527_697538526_7072306_3365828_n.jpg

76677_247627_10150199218238527_697538526_7072304_3445777_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom