Why wont the fox go in the trap??

Quote:
how would I make sure the neighbor's cat wouldn't get into it though?? It seems like the easiest way

The cats walk around the coil spring traps, this much I know. With the box traps, I just release the cats. I've only caught a stray one twice, the others learned after the first time. A well fed cat will probably only get caught once, unless it's just dumb. Alternately, use fruit, sugary stuff, marshmallows, etc. to avoid catching cats. It's not that catching cats is a problem itself, but if the trap is full you can't catch something else in it!

Quote:
how would I make sure the neighbor's cat wouldn't get into it though?? It seems like the easiest way

The cats walk around the coil spring traps, this much I know. With the box traps, I just release the cats. I've only caught a stray one twice, the others learned after the first time. A well fed cat will probably only get caught once, unless it's just dumb. Alternately, use fruit, sugary stuff, marshmallows, etc. to avoid catching cats. It's not that catching cats is a problem itself, but if the trap is full you can't catch something else in it!

This is a lot of the reason I always set more then one trap if I am setting a trap I will always set 3-4 just to keep them from getting clogged with possum skunk etc that and a lot of times coon travel in groups the quicker I can get them gone the less chance there is of them being trap wise

Quote:

This is a lot of the reason I always set more then one trap if I am setting a trap I will always set 3-4 just to keep them from getting clogged with possum skunk etc that and a lot of times coon travel in groups the quicker I can get them gone the less chance there is of them being trap wise

I've caught the neighbor's cat in the live trap. just let him back out. that doesn't bother me. but If I set a leg hold trap and injure the cat that's the end of our good neighbor's relationship....
their kids have a dog that they end up babysitting once in a while too...

most times if I am in town I set a smallish coil spring trap I have no trouble at all holding fox with a number 1 coil spring I can put my fingers in the trap and set it off it does not break the skin on my hand it merely restrains is all. When I am not in town the trap is only slightly larger. A number 1 1/2

Quote:
I've never heard of that kind of trap. do you have a link of what it looks like? I did a quick google search but all I see is foot traps? Where can I get one?

Quote:
I've never heard of that kind of trap. do you have a link of what it looks like? I did a quick google search but all I see is foot traps? Where can I get one?

this place is just one of many places that I buy supplies from if you google "number 1 coil spring trap" this one comes up in the top 10 I have dealt with them before they ship fairly quick if you order online

http://www.fntpost.com/Categories/Trapping/Traps/Coil+Spring+Traps/Duke+Coil+Spring+Traps/

Quote:

this place is just one of many places that I buy supplies from if you google "number 1 coil spring trap" this one comes up in the top 10 I have dealt with them before they ship fairly quick if you order online

http://www.fntpost.com/Categories/Trapping/Traps/Coil+Spring+Traps/Duke+Coil+Spring+Traps/

I wonder if our postal strike would affect this....Looks like they ship to Canada though. that's a rare convenience
big_smile.png
I'll try and order one as soon as my purse comes back with the car this evening. I always forget it in the car

Quote:

I wonder if our postal strike would affect this....Looks like they ship to Canada though. that's a rare convenience
big_smile.png
I'll try and order one as soon as my purse comes back with the car this evening. I always forget it in the car

you might want to check and see what is and is not legal to use in Canada it may save some headache at the border with customs and all there are a coupla Canadian supply houses as well that sell the same type of things

http://www.longcreektrappingsupplies.com/index.php?cPath=25_28

http://www.furharvesters.com/tct/pdf/catalogue.pdf

A coupla Canadian supplies

Back
Top Bottom