Why wont the fox go in the trap??

pattgal

Songster
9 Years
Apr 20, 2010
New Brunswick, Canada
I set up a havahart trap in the back of my lot where I saw the fox staring at the coop. I baited it with a chick that happened to drop dead on me. that was last week. this evening I happen to look outside and there he is again. why won't he go in the trap I set up for him?

Last edited:
Foxes are one of the most intelligent predators. I have heard that they can smell human on the trap and stay away. Someone once told me they had to rub the whole trap down with something to hide the smell. (Sorry I don't know the specific procedure) I have never found a fox in one of our traps.

Quote:
I hate to say this but sly as a fox is a saying for a reason..... They're not stupid animals. If they since that it's even slightly dodgy they won't go near it. Might be different with a live bird though I'm sure you wouldn't want to put a live bird in in it but I'm pretty sure that carrion is not the MOST attractive option for them unless it's their only one!

He is sly as a fox.
lol.png

Probably just being cautious, or the trap might be a little small. Try a little bait just outside the entrance of the trap. Maybe when he comes back for seconds he will drop his guard and go in for it

Seriously, if you really want him gone, shoot it if it is not illegal where you are. Perhaps calling animal control if they do that sort of thing there.

Quote:
I hate to say this but sly as a fox is a saying for a reason..... They're not stupid animals. If they since that it's even slightly dodgy they won't go near it. Might be different with a live bird though I'm sure you wouldn't want to put a live bird in in it but I'm pretty sure that carrion is not the MOST attractive option for them unless it's their only one!

that's probably exactly it! he probably won't touch the dead one I put in there when he is looking at 14 plump live ones a few feet away. how do I solve this problem.....

Quote:
it is illegal here to shoot anything, haha. but I would still do it If I had a gun.
I have a compound bow but it really sucks being a 5 foot tall woman. I can only handle 30lbs and it's not enough to get the arrow across the yard.
man I need to get some more arrows for that thing and pimp it up tho
droolin.gif

You could set a foothold trap(not a good idea if you have dogs or neighbors with dogs close by),or just reinforce the coop so he can look all he wants but can't get to them.

PS.Love you signature,especially the first one
wink.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Because he's a fox, and they are very nervous about entering enclosed areas or spaces. In many years of fooling with predators, I have only ever caught 5 red fox in live traps. 3 were kits and the two adults were injured and starving. You might have better luck with a dog size live trap, and for sure you would have more luck with snares or leg hold traps.

Back
Top Bottom