Why wont they crow?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by chicknduck, Jan 27, 2011.

1. chicknduck

chicknduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    Hello all. I have a silkie (I think it is a cross because it is pretty big for a silkie and it roosts at night) I have heard a crow on only 2 occasions in the last 2 months. Why wont he crow?
    He is about 10 months old. Also will the silkie ... how do I put this delacatly.... Mate with my full size hens?

2. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    If you have any other dominant roos,chances of your silkie crowing are slim.

Most dominant roos will attack a roo that is crowing.The crow for a roo is telling everyone within earshot" this is mine!"

Another roo crowing in the flock messes up this trasmittal and the dominant will beat the lesser into submittion( not crowing,etc...)

As for mating with bigger hens,well...he will be able to mount her,grab her neck feathers with his beak,steady his feet,but wont be able to reach the..spot.He wont be strechy enough to finish the deed.

We have a bantam roo named Bumpus.He mounts the big hens,but he looks like a kid riding a big horse. Just too funny. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Theres nuttin he can do.Hes too small.So he has some bantam girls,and the game hens.

so if you dont have the right size girls,chances of getting them fertile eggs are a longshot. Size does matter with chickens too. [​IMG]

3. chicknduck

chicknduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    Quote:Thanks for the info. He is the biggest of five silkies I am not sure on the sex of the other four but he is the only roo I know of in my flock. The others are much smaller then him and about 3 months younger.

4. SOMD Chicken Mafia

SOMD Chicken Mafia Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2011
    Southern Maryland
    LOL i cant make mine stop, he is around the same age and he crows like crazy ALL DAY!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by