Why would a chick sleep standing up

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by brookwoodpat, Jun 5, 2008.

1. brookwoodpat

brookwoodpat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    I have one EE chick who is sleeping standing up. Is this a neurological problem, or a sickness? The other four chicks in the group sleep the normal way.

Pat

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    What is the normal way? Mine sleep in all sorts of positions. Some roost. Some don't roost. some wallow out a hole in the bedding and some just hunker down. Some stand around.

3. Jubaby

Jubaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    West Texas
    I had one that would fall asleep face down in the pine shavings. A couple of times I thought it was dead.

4. TexasJoe

TexasJoe Taking a break

Mar 3, 2008
    Most of my JCxRocks look dead most of the time. Some of the them sleep face down in the feed trough, others sleep on their sides, I even have one that sleeps wth it's feet in the air. Weirdos.

5. chicknhawaii

chicknhawaii Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Honolulu, HI
    Quote:LOL!!!!! [​IMG]

Chick-Chick used to sleep FLAT...beak to tail, just flat. Recently I've seen her kinda "retract" her neck into her body so she's a just a ball of feathers napping...rofl...it's cute.

I think it's Tallulah that does that flat thing and both sometimes roost if I remember to put a stick in their box.

6. chicknhawaii

chicknhawaii Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Honolulu, HI
    Quote:OMG you gotta post pics! I want to see that one with the feet in the air!

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There's no normal :p

1 person likes this.
  8. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    Quote:I agree that there are several normal sleep patterns for new chicks. But I have also seen them try to sleep standing up if the brooder isn't warm enough down at the level of the bedding. It appeared they were trying to stay closer to the heat source that was located overhead.

9. basicliving

basicliving Keepin' the sunny side up

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I LOVE that picture!!! That is too funny!

I've got one that falls asleep staring at herself in the mirror. I have found her sleeping with her face smashed against her reflection more times than one. She just loves her reflection! I think it's becoming a problem, and I've chatted with her about it, but she apparently thinks that's the best view in the coop. [​IMG]

Penny

Last edited: Jun 6, 2008
  10. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    OMG that is SO CUTE!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by