Why would I want a goat?

gkeesling

Songster
11 Years
Nov 24, 2008
Hagerstown, IN
I haven't been around goats much, but what I see, I can't figure out what they are good for. I see them on farms here in East Central Indiana all the time so there must be a good reason to have goats. In Biblical times they would eat them or use them for milk, but I don't see goat meat or goat milk in the grocery stores these days. I don't have anything against goats, I'm just not very educated on them I guess. I was thinking about getting a goat to eat down some of the weeds on my 10 acres, but can't figure out another reason I'd want one.

Can some one give me few sentences on the beneift of goats? I just might want to get a few.

there are lots of reasons to have goats; and lots of different types of goats.

I have cashmere goats - they of course are good for fiber, but almost as important to me is the weed control. They are also very friendly and fun to have around.

Many people have milk goats, very efficient conversion of feed to milk. The milk can also be used for cheese & soap.

There are lots of meat goat raisers too. I don't care for the taste, but it it considered very good by many.

Goats are great beginner animals and 4-H projects.

My other favorite reason to keep goats is the manure they produce. It can be used without composting first and won't burn plants. But composting it is great too. My gardens have really improved.

Whatever reason you have for keeping goats, they are lots of fun.

Quote:
I absolutely agree! Although my 2 month old baby boer completely wears me out and I am now bottle feeding a preemie 3 day old, I couldn't ask for better entertainment. They are cuddly, cute and full of mischief!

I will never be without a few goats! They are very playful and smart, regardless of what others might think
smile.png
No, they really don't earn their keep, and you MUST have more than one (or else it will be very lonely - they are herd animals). They will eat everything you don't want them to, and nothing you want them to, and if you get a bottle raised baby goat, you have just acquired a funny looking dog! I love my goats for the sheer entertainment they provide!!
lol.png

Quote:
Exactly! Bella is like having a 2 year old around and Bailey is just like having a newborn, but I have made the comment more than once after getting my first one that I probably wouldn't ever get another dog again! Everyone kept telling me Bella needed a playmate to entertain her and so she would know she was a goat instead of a cat, but she entertains herself quite well and I have a feeling they will just both think they are cats!

they sre strictly the most adorable, fun, creative, sweet, loyal and entertaining animals on the planet. We use them for cart pulling, milk and meat not to mention grazing weeds down. They're a blast!

Back
Top Bottom