Why Would Maggots Be Inside A Live Chicken?

I checked out the websites for flystrike, and I am assuming that is what she had. However, she didn't have any sores. Literally, the maggots were crawling in and out of her vent. I was horrified when I saw what was happening. I would have preferred a gross open wound. At least then I could have cleaned it out and possibly helped her, but to have them inside her I am not sure if there would have been anything I could have done. I HATE FLIES!!!

I hate flies too! Though I never had a loss like that yet so I hate mosquitoes more.

So I bought horse fly spray to keep the mosquitoes off my goats as it said it was also effective for that... The active ingredient is Permethrin, which is the synthetic version of Crysanthimum extract. There is an organic version for MUCH higher price called Elector PSP. Now I have used the permethrin very effectively to get rid of any mites/lice on my girls. A few of them have had poo bum and sometimes one that will stay wet. Wonder if my using the Permethrin has actually saved me from this experience without knowing it?!

My girls have plenty of dirt bath available.. but let's be real, dirt might knock stuff off and yes dry up the feces... but it doesn't kill stuff. It HELPS keep things in check!

And then, can I ask if you are sure it was maggots and not say tapeworms from the actual intestines or some other form of intestinal parasite? I just like to cover all bases.

Sorry again for your loss.

I hate flies too! Though I never had a loss like that yet so I hate mosquitoes more.

So I bought horse fly spray to keep the mosquitoes off my goats as it said it was also effective for that... The active ingredient is Permethrin, which is the synthetic version of Crysanthimum extract. There is an organic version for MUCH higher price called Elector PSP. Now I have used the permethrin very effectively to get rid of any mites/lice on my girls. A few of them have had poo bum and sometimes one that will stay wet. Wonder if my using the Permethrin has actually saved me from this experience without knowing it?!

My girls have plenty of dirt bath available.. but let's be real, dirt might knock stuff off and yes dry up the feces... but it doesn't kill stuff. It HELPS keep things in check!

And then, can I ask if you are sure it was maggots and not say tapeworms from the actual intestines or some other form of intestinal parasite? I just like to cover all bases.

Sorry again for your loss.

We are 100% sure they were maggots. Man, I should have taken pictures, as gross as that sounds. We have her in a box getting ready to bury her under a tree. I just need to buy the tree. I do this for my special farm animals, buy a tree and bury them under it. She was one of my first chicks, and an enabler to my poultry addiction. Ha! Anyway, I will see if I can get some pics of the nasty things before we bury her.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ESMNYu3QTcA/U7XRikFLwfI/AAAAAAAAzzs/EEafo3WMq0U/s1600/b2.jpg
b2.jpg
She didn't have any sores like this. They were crawling in and out of her vent. YUK!

We are 100% sure they were maggots. Man, I should have taken pictures, as gross as that sounds. We have her in a box getting ready to bury her under a tree. I just need to buy the tree. I do this for my special farm animals, buy a tree and bury them under it. She was one of my first chicks, and an enabler to my poultry addiction. Ha! Anyway, I will see if I can get some pics of the nasty things before we bury her.

I believe you, just asked in case it was mistaken identity. As gross as it does sound :sick, pictures can be a very valuable tool.

I never bury my animals... but I LOVE your tree idea for the special ones! I might even make it a fruit bearing tree of some sort.

I have planted trees in memory of loved family members before. Just love to see the new life every year when the tree blooms! Thanks for sharing a great idea.

Back
Top Bottom