why would my rooster (that only likes me) attacked me today?

one thing that I have found with roosters. If you enter a run and he is just staring at you not moving. stare right back and don't move until he does. Act like you are the boss. if he spurs you again. Corner him and pick him up. or hold him down to the ground for a bit. Odds are he will fight back but don't give up. I had one that was aggressive like that. After a few times holding him down and winning staring contests, he runs when he sees me lol.

I have a lot of roosters...lol. If one has ever tried to challenge/spur me, I make sure I get a hold of him quickly and put him down like the roosters do to each other (they'll grab the opposite rooster by his comb) and I'll hold him down firmly with his neck and face one the ground to show him who's boss. I may also peck his head with my finger just to get the extra point across.
Just be careful not to be too rough and injure his neck. This usually shakes them up a bit and they usually think twice before they try it again...lol.
It's in your rooster's best interest to be firm and not let him get away with being aggressive. If it becomes a bad habit, it may be his demise in the end.
Boundaries are a good thing, especially with roosters.

I also blunt most of my roosters spurs. Some people need their roosters to have full spurs to protect the flock so they prefer to leave the spurs. Some people twist them off.
I prefer to blunt my roosters' spurs to the point where the spur begins to get soft and just before it bleeds.
This helps protect the hens from serious injury, it still gives the roosters' a weapon should they ever need it...but it makes it impossible for them to spike me should they ever try.

I use a pair of nail clippers for dogs most of the time. It's very easy to control how much is being cut.
I've also used the serrated hoof trimmers for my sheep on a couple of guys who have spurs too big to fit in the nail clippers.
I would imagine a good pair of side cutters would work too.
thumbsup.gif

one thing that I have found with roosters. If you enter a run and he is just staring at you not moving. stare right back and don't move until he does. Act like you are the boss. if he spurs you again. Corner him and pick him up. or hold him down to the ground for a bit. Odds are he will fight back but don't give up. I had one that was aggressive like that. After a few times holding him down and winning staring contests, he runs when he sees me lol.
Oops...didn't even see you on the second page...lol!
frow.gif

You already wrote what I was thinking...
gig.gif

th.gif

I did reach to pet one of the hens, all of them was really hot today and I pet him too, he usually runs from me when I try to give him affection, but he didn't run from me today, instead when I turned my back to him he spurred me . Is there other ways to show him I'm the boss? I Spoil them and I'm really soft with them. I'm a total push over with animals unfortunately

Chickens don't understand petting. When you reached to pet the hen you Rooster thought that you posed a threat to either the life or to the virtue of one of HIS hens.

He responded towards you like you were a chicken yourself which has certain downsides. Take my word for it, chickens neither love nor hate humans, yourself included. Chickens merely tolerate us, that is as long as we humans know our place.
gig.gif

I think I'm just so used to dogs lo I still have a lot to learn about chickens. I just hear stories about how some chickens want to be held or cuddled so I guess I thought I could make mine that way lol. She did squawk when I reached to pet her inside the run I'm sure he was being protective then ugh

He is so huge and fast I'll probably have to wear long pants and a long shirt I'm actually intimidated by him lol I scream and ran when he got me so I'm sure that wasn't a good thing. I'm going to try and be more firm and dominant with him. Thanks for your help :)

I'll make my husband trim his spurs lol how do you hold a rooster to trim his spurs? I always thought buff orpington roosters are supposed to be really docile? :/

Roosters have weapons other than spurs. If he attacks and you turn your back to run away he could inflict injury. A good friend has a scar on his face courtesy of a dominicker rooster he ran from as a child. When he turned to see where the roo was, it was in his face. Roosters can be serious testosterone machines and not to be taken lightly.

Back
Top Bottom