Why would one need a candling license to sell eggs to be eaten?

Good! When I took up beekeeping for awhile years ago, I found that in Georgia, you're supposed to get your hive inspected yearly, but no one could tell you how to get it done, and when the state bee inspector showed up to visit at our local beekeepers' meeting, everyone said, "Wow! We always wondered who you were." So I'm hoping the chicken folks will be the same, if folks will let sleeping dogs lie. But, yes, legally in Ga. you should have a candling license and can't sell ungraded eggs. The eggs must be washed and in new cartons. Even if you sell at a roadside stand or gas station. However, at your farm it is apparently rule-free sales. Don't know if labeling as hatchery eggs voids from all rules, but it's worth a try. I will wash mine first, as I think that's what folks here want, and I don't want to spread salmonella or whatever.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be so sure of them not hiring anyone for that purpose it seems the government is against anyone who wants to get up and work and sell their goods or products. They would rather see us down getting food stamps and depending on them.
They find a way to license and fee you to death.

Just found this old thread in a search and wanted to update it...

Here are the guidelines I found for Georgia: http://www.caes.uga.edu/departments...RequirementsforLicensingaSmallEggProducer.pdf

(In short, if you're selling eggs from your own flock to individuals (not restaurants or at a retail establishment you do not own) then you DON'T have to have your facility inspected and licensed, but you DO have to get licensed to candle and grade the eggs.)

The class is free and is offered periodically around the state by the GA Dept of Agriculture. I just registered for one next month in Hamilton at the Ag Extension office.

-Wendy

I don't sell eggs at our farmers market here in GA but do sell other products. One of the market managers just sent an email out letting the vendors know that inspectors have been hitting the farmers market scene pretty hard the last couple of weeks. He wanted to make sure that all the vendors had the correct licensing with them, especially those selling eggs as he said they are really cracking down on egg sellers. Just thought I would pass this info along.

Back
Top Bottom