Why would somebody SHOOT my chicken??? *Update - Found a Bullet!!!!!*

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by TXmom, Jan 22, 2010.

1. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

I am in a funk today...shocked, mad, confused....

Yesterday morning I heard 4 or 5 gunshots. I live in the country, not a lot of neighbors, but lots of corn fields and cow grazing pastures on my road. I've heard gun shots in the distance before, but not this close. It wasn't extremely loud, so I thought maybe it was just a pellet gun or something. I opened the front door and looked around outside to see if anyone was out there, maybe down the street. A car went speeding past my house and I didn't see anybody else out there. I thought that was really weird but I went back inside. Then I left for the day. When I came home last night about 5:00, I went out to gather eggs and throw a little scratch around (sun hadn't gone down yet). I found one of my favorite Light Brahma pullets laying on the ground dead, inside my fenced-in yard (woven wire fencing). The shots I heard were a drive-by chicken shooting? Seriously? Who would do that????

I called the County Sheriff and reported it in case it happens again, or has happened to other people. Two deputies came to my house and checked everything out, asked a lot of questions, took pictures and practically did an autopsy of my bird...they said she was shot with a 22, not a pellet gun. I was happy that they took this so seriously.

The deputies just left a few minutes ago, and now I'm just sitting here. I guess there's nothing else to do, just hope they don't come back and do it again. Especially when my kids are home. I just can't believe this happened to me.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  2. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    Wow, that is beyond sad and shocking. What kind of person would do that? Moronic kids messing around with their new gun? How horrible.

It's good to hear the sherrif took it seriously though, I hope they find something out. I'm so sorry, it just had to be one of your favourites, huh? [​IMG]

3. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    For the same reason someone shot my Pekin duck. I think they call it "fun". Though what is funny about killing a creature inside its own pen totally escapes me. But it does happen. And they cannot even call it "sport"--not with the critter inside a pen! There are just a lot of worthless freaks out there. Note that I didn't call them people...I don't think they really are. Just heartless freaks.

Rusty

4. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    That's just sickening. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. FortWorthChicks

FortWorthChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Wow, I am sorry that happened to your hen/you! Some people are just no good. It sounds like a random jerk-face coward to me.

Some people really are just low down, good for nothing. It is lucky we have some very good people to balance it out. Again Sorry this happened to you.

6. Turkenlover

Turkenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2010
    Colorado
    Deepest sympathy from our gang. My worst nightmare!

7. MudPie

MudPie Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2009
    Htuos Lartnec Anatnom
    Sorry to hear that.

Once in a while we get teenagers, or young rowdy adults who run around shooting up what ever walks. Game animals, horses, etc. From a mind set, I don;t think it's any different than vandals breaking windows. Other than this is obviously more extreme and dangerous than breaking windows. My point is that some people are just not wired right in the head.

I hope the law catches up with whoever did that to you.

8. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    [​IMG] Oh man. I can't understand that. My first instinct is to say kids...teens most likely. I think it stinks to high heaven, but I'm glad to know that it was taken seriously. Did you know that a .22 bullet can travel up to half a mile? That's a scary thought. Now as for randomly killing live animals, that's sick and wrong. I don't care how old you are.
    I'm sorry. [​IMG]

9. Lolita

Lolita Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    FL
    [​IMG] I'm so sorry and [​IMG]

10. Just FYI, this is a FELONY. discharging a weapon on ANY caliber, especially commercial ammunition into private property is punishable by YEARS in prison.

This is why your sheriffs department took this so seriously.

I would suspect a group of dumb and dumber teens out for the day for a little fun.

Lock up you chooks and keep an eye out.

You CAN NOT protect your livestock from being shot by shooting back at Humans. This is NO regarded as life threatening.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by