1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why would straw be more expensive than hay?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by redhen, Oct 23, 2011.

1. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Not by much, but still.. Straw was $9.75 a bale and hay was $7.25...
    I would think that since hay is mainly feed for animals, that it would be more expensive.. No? [​IMG]

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:$7.25 a bale???? [​IMG] Ours is $14. And yes, straw is MUCH cheaper.

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Thats what if figured, I just thought it was weird that straw was more expensive than hay...

*you all know that little things amuse my little brain..* [​IMG]

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Wow!! Our straw, clean and yellow, is only $3 a bale. Even the "higher priced" places only get $4.50 a bale. Geeeeeesh. If there is shipping, trucking and handling involved, it raises the price I reckon.

5. Sword

Sword Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    Mundelein
    Around here, they charge tons for straw because people just get two or three as decorations for their yard, and so are willing to pay a higher price.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    There's no hay available anywhere around here right now. Our neighbor/leasee told us he is down some 600 round bales now. They got only one cutting vs. the five or six they usually get.

Tomorrow I will be traveling north where they got a bit more rain than we did this summer. If I can find a square bale of hay for under $20 I am going to buy it and be glad to get it. I don't want to resort to straw in my nestboxes, so I really need that hay. Dang cow busted into the pumphouse and ate what I had left of a bale.

7. teeville5

teeville5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Michigan
    [​IMG] Wow. I pay $2.50-3 depending on where I stop for either hay or straw.

8. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    I bought a bale of hay a couple weeks ago. $5, but it wasn't really good quality. I get mixed grass hay, but this looks like it was cut with a lawn mower or something. Just small scraps of grass packed together.

straw here is $4.50

9. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Stray went up in price recently locally because people are buying a lot for Halloween decorating. Is it always that price for you, or is it a temporarily inflated price?

10. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by