1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

why would they change

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Keith13, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Keith13

Keith13 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2013
    My chickens have now decided they no longer want to sleep in the coop at night. They would rather sleep out in the yard or on the fence. What would make them change where they have slept for the last two years?

thoughts??

2. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

Interesting... I've had the odd chicken from time to time decide they were going to sleep somewhere else but not my whole flock.

3. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    I've heard of flocks doing this when their roosts have become over-run with red mites. They get bitten so furiously that they are not inclined to go back to the roost.

I would recommend waiting until dark and wiping a damp piece of white paper towel on the under-sides of the roosting poles, and across any gaps and joins. If you have red mites, they should be quite visible on the white paper towel, and then you can start treatment if required.

It's a starting point anyway.

- Krista

2 people like this.
  4. Keith13

Keith13 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2013
    Thank you I will do that tonight

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by