Why you ladies no lay eggs?

vtpenguin

Hatching
7 Years
Aug 1, 2012
howdy folks.

I'm at my wits ends here. We have invested well over 1000 dollars in these chickens, not to mention the hours upon hours of upkeep, for zilch. The chicks, that are now full grown hens, arrived in Early April. Now its August, and still no eggs. Could they be duds? What could we be doing wrong? Or does it just take more time?

howdy folks.

I'm at my wits ends here. We have invested well over 1000 dollars in these chickens, not to mention the hours upon hours of upkeep, for zilch. The chicks, that are now full grown hens, arrived in Early April. Now its August, and still no eggs. Could they be duds? What could we be doing wrong? Or does it just take more time?
What kind of run are they in....they may be laying eggs somewher else, not in the nesting box ? A friend of mine had lots of Chickens, but because there were so many, a lot of they layes eggs under trees.....They are certainly are about ready, they usually start at about 20 weeks old, some a little earlier or a couple of weeks later.

I have found that the quality of food I buy affects egg production. Once I tried a cheaper feed and my girls stopped laying. I went back to the better quality feed and I got eggs again.

How old are they? Most hens do not start to lay until 20-24 weeks old. If you got them in early April, I'm guessing that they are maybe about 17 weeks old. Do they have large, red combs and wattles? That is usually a sign that laying is right around the corner.
I seriously doubt that all your hens are "duds." They probably just aren't ready to lay yet.

Last edited:
My bad. guess they have another 3 to 6 weeks. bummer! Thought it was 10 or 15 weeks. bad info i had! Thanks for all the replies. I need to just be patient.

Back
Top Bottom