Why you really, really should not over feed treats, and why you should exercise your birds.

topochico225

Enthusiasm Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2020
Deep South
Well, lesson learned.

Back in December and January, I had a sick hen. My posts about it are here, the onset of her sickness, here, when she aspirated the antifungal, and here, her death. Mahalia had a yeast infection in her crop, was taken to LSU Vet School, prescribed Nystatin, and then dropped dead January 10. I was shocked- she had no symptoms, was laying regularly, was face down dead when I came home from church one night.

The next morning, I took her to LSU Vet to be dropped off for a necropsy... and heard nothing until today, when I called to ask about results. Turns out they were ready on Jan. 21, but they forgot to call.

I had been feeding them Nature's Best organic layer feed, grit, oyster shell, the occasional few kitchen scraps, and the big baddie now, dried mealworms. I had to learn to hide the bag of mealworms, otherwise my dad would throw them handfuls of them multiple times a day, and the chickens were like kids in a candy shop. We have 3 hens (minus Mahalia, RIP) and this was WAY too much for them. The chickens were also not free ranging as much as they should have been. This comedy of errors turned out to be fatal for poor Mahalia.

The lab results I got today showed that Mahalia had fatty liver hemorrhagic syndrome, or FLHS. This is caused by a diet high in energy and low in exercise. Because she was getting so many mealworms and not free ranging as much as she should have been, it was the same effect as eating potato chips and sitting on the couch all day. At her death she weighed nearly 8 pounds, and was an 8 month RIR pullet. I have screenshots of the report which I will post below.

My admonition for you is to cut way, way back on chicken treats. This likely caused my sweet hen's premature death. I would hate for this mostly preventable condition to happen to more hens because of unawareness.

Since her death, I have rarely fed my remaining hens mealworms, not because I suspected anything, but because I simply forgot about them. I'm glad I did. My hens are happy, laying well, and maintaining a healthy weight.

Good luck to you and your backyard flock!

Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 12.20.01 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 12.20.13 PM.png

Very difficult if not impossible for everyone to free-range. My gals have never been out of there run, and never will. I give treats 2x a week, and not a lot of them.
I know it's very hard for some people to free range. My run was VERY small, is what I meant to say. Since then I've added on to it, and I count myself very lucky to be able to free range.

I'm sorry for your loss but thank you for sharing this experience. Very interesting stuff.

Luckily all my chickens HATE mealworms. They do get organic scratch + veggies everyday with organic no soy no corn feed. I don't free range since I'm in an urban setting. I'd still say they get plenty of exercise. Always moving around in my run living their best birdy lives. Honestly I've read too many heartbreaking stories of flocks being lost to predators free ranging so I may never do it even when I get out of the city limits one day.

It's so easy to be 'kind' and feed all those goodies!
Your post should help people who just don't get it, and obesity is bad for chickens too.
Scratch is a treat, small amounts occasionally, and both scratch and veggies reduce the total protein in their diet, a problem if their base feed in only a 16% layer feed, or a whole grain diet that's easy to pick through.
Mealworms are something like 50% fat, if I remember correctly, so should be a very small treat.
Mary

It's so easy to be 'kind' and feed all those goodies!
Your post should help people who just don't get it, and obesity is bad for chickens too.
Scratch is a treat, small amounts occasionally, and both scratch and veggies reduce the total protein in their diet, a problem if their base feed in only a 16% layer feed, or a whole grain diet that's easy to pick through.
Mealworms are something like 50% fat, if I remember correctly, so should be a very small treat.
Mary
Yes
Well, lesson learned.

Back in December and January, I had a sick hen. My posts about it are here, the onset of her sickness, here, when she aspirated the antifungal, and here, her death. Mahalia had a yeast infection in her crop, was taken to LSU Vet School, prescribed Nystatin, and then dropped dead January 10. I was shocked- she had no symptoms, was laying regularly, was face down dead when I came home from church one night.

The next morning, I took her to LSU Vet to be dropped off for a necropsy... and heard nothing until today, when I called to ask about results. Turns out they were ready on Jan. 21, but they forgot to call.

I had been feeding them Nature's Best organic layer feed, grit, oyster shell, the occasional few kitchen scraps, and the big baddie now, dried mealworms. I had to learn to hide the bag of mealworms, otherwise my dad would throw them handfuls of them multiple times a day, and the chickens were like kids in a candy shop. We have 3 hens (minus Mahalia, RIP) and this was WAY too much for them. The chickens were also not free ranging as much as they should have been. This comedy of errors turned out to be fatal for poor Mahalia.

The lab results I got today showed that Mahalia had fatty liver hemorrhagic syndrome, or FLHS. This is caused by a diet high in energy and low in exercise. Because she was getting so many mealworms and not free ranging as much as she should have been, it was the same effect as eating potato chips and sitting on the couch all day. At her death she weighed nearly 8 pounds, and was an 8 month RIR pullet. I have screenshots of the report which I will post below.

My admonition for you is to cut way, way back on chicken treats. This likely caused my sweet hen's premature death. I would hate for this mostly preventable condition to happen to more hens because of unawareness.

Since her death, I have rarely fed my remaining hens mealworms, not because I suspected anything, but because I simply forgot about them. I'm glad I did. My hens are happy, laying well, and maintaining a healthy weight.

Good luck to you and your backyard flock!

View attachment 2536876View attachment 2536878
just wanted to say that treats in small amounts are not going to hurt your chickens if they don’t exceed the 10% rule. Multiple handfuls of treats for just 3 chickens is way too much. The rule of thumb is only a tbsp. per chicken. A balanced diet, a proper amount of biotin, and exercise all is key.

Back
Top Bottom