WHY?

mpoland33

Songster
Mar 16, 2016
FREDERICK COUNTY MARYLAND
I have to ask the question because it doesn't make much sense to me.

For my question just assume you have chickens for the eggs

Why does everything get chicks in the spring? by the time they start laying it's close to the end of summer...and then they typically don't lay as well once fall and winter come around. Seems like getting them earlier so they are ready to lay around daylight savings time would make more sense....right?

It might make more sense logically, but you also have to think about other factors.

Chickens stop laying *generally* in the winter. Which means you have less of an opportunity to get fertilized eggs, much less incubated and hatched, early enough for this.
Additionally, if you do hatch out chicks in, say, fall you'd then have to house said chicks over winter. This would entail that the chicks would outgrow their brooder and need to be moved outside during the dead of winter.
And lastly, if you don't hatch the chicks but rather choose to order them and have them shipped, they would *depending on geographic location* be shipped in freezing temperatures, risking chilling the chicks and killing them.

With all these points in mind, someone in a warmer climate without harsh winters could indeed order chicks earlier. Why they don't, I don't know.

Anyone feel free to chime in if I missed something. :)

Here in Maine, they don't seem to become available to buy before March, with some places offering delivery in May and June. My wife wanted to wait until at least May to get ours, but I pointed out that it would be late fall before we got the first egg and then they'd likely stop laying for the winter...so we got them yesterday.

Why does everything get chicks in the spring? by the time they start laying it's close to the end of summer...and then they typically don't lay as well once fall and winter come around. Seems like getting them earlier so they are ready to lay around daylight savings time would make more sense....right?
Shipping regulations are a factor too. if the temperature is too low they (postal service) can refuse to ship them. In Canada at least they also limit when hatching eggs can be shipped. I believe it is March to October for when hatching eggs are actually allowed to be shipped. (though I can't recall if that's accurate. I looked into it about a month or maybe two months ago )

1st your layers are generally much less affected by Winter with regards to their production. This is actually why I choose to maintain a multi generational flock. My pullets provide a steady supply of eggs through the Winter and my 2nd year birds come back into production when Spring arrives providing a steady stream of eggs through the summer until their next molt. By starting half a flock each Spring they come into production just as the older birds are taking off for molt and Winter.

The earliest I've seen chicks for sale is feb in store.. online in jan. Cyprus is right.. you can get them early, but then you'll have pretty big birds in your house/garage or dead young birds out in the cold. They can't go from 80-100F to 25F. That's like living in FL and moving to Alaska lol. Nope.

For what it is worth you can brood chicks outdoors and/or transition fully feathered chicks to the outdoors the same when you do in the Winter as you do in the summer. Starting birds in the late part of the year does not mean you will have nearly or fully grown birds in your house or garage through the Winter until you can transition them outside in the Spring. Many people do choose to brood in the Winter rather than the summer and there are some advantages to taking this approach

Back
Top Bottom