why

Jul 24, 2020
NY
I have 2 female jumbo Pekins daffy and daisy they are definitely both girls because they are very talkative and both lay eggs the thing is they mount each other and cause injuries and we just got them a deeper pool we have now noticed what seems to be drowning each other luckily daisy is smart enough that she goes under and pops up on the other side why do they do this

I agree with @AstroDuck they are just sexual creatures. We don't surgically alter that part of them like we do our dogs and cats, so we aren't used to seeing this behavior in our animals.

I have a flock of all female ducks and they mate with each other many times a day. It isn't a problem, it is normal.

They don't have hands so the top duck holds on with her mouth. Sometimes she accidentally pulls a feather. Sometimes the bottom duck's head goes under water. It is all normal and healthy duck mating behavior.

Ducks are sexual creatures and it is not uncommon at all for females to mount other females. This can be for sexual or dominance reasons. The "drowning" isn't drowning, but rather how ducks mate in water. The top mount will push the bottom duck's head under water
I am curious though what injuries have occured?

Last edited:
:welcome
Hello and welcome to BackYard Chickens! :jumpy
Glad you joined our community. Everyone here is very kind and helpful :)

This often happens when there is no drake. If it becomes a serious issue you could try spraying them with a hose to knock it off or you could get a few more ducks and hopefully it won't be one that's constantly getting mounted.

Back
Top Bottom