Why?????

Thanks y'all! Yes they have a ladder that the 2 older ones used in the old pen, so they know how to use it, but it may be too steep now. We have the stuff to make them an extended ine ir a platform in the middle??? i dont know if thats the problem or not. Inside there is a sanded 2x4 and sweet PDZ on the floor

The ladder, although I think it's more the issue that they just don't know(older) and don't remember(younger) to go in and they probably feel secure in the enclosed run.

I suppose the ladder could be an issue. You might have more success in that dept. if it was a wider board with grips on it. Chickens aren't the brightest and they may just be finding it easier to roost on those lower support beams. Crazy little things sometimes aren't they?!

Yes they are. We have just come in from planning and gathering for a new longer, wider ladder with different steps too.

What's the temparture difference between outside and the coop? Maybe it's hot in the coop you don't live far from Fort Worth. I had some new birds this summer in a very secure coop and they stayed outside until we started getting some real cool weather.

Beautiful - the flooring is MUCH nicer than what I have in my kitchen. I think the advice you got re: modifications to the ramp should help. Maybe a small lite (on timer) in the coop around bedtime will encourage them to come inside. Some can be afraid of the dark.

Back
Top Bottom