Why'd you guys start raising your own chickens?

I have never had chickens before, never really even been around them, but I got the idea in my head a few years ago after watching a show on TV. I never knew it was that easy! Also went along with more of the homesteady life we are slowly been moving towards. We are finally moving to a farmette in a few months and I just ordered our first chicks today :)

I love fresh eggs and they where free. I received 9 RIR because the previous owner did not know who was laying. I found the egg eater and they all are laying eggs. I have never had chickens and I find them very entertaining. Now I am wanting to get 7 chicks in the spring for the kids.

I have always wanted a farm, but growing-up in a basic town - it was not going to happen. My DNA screamed 'farm girl'. Was a FFA'r in high school (goats, rabbits, sheep and horse projects were @ school or at ranches of friends) and the farm bug stayed with me. I was 40 by the time I could attempt my dream. I moved far away from home and got property with a chicken coop. Always HATED chickens, but one day I was at a feed store and saw the chicks. Had a coop - so why not. I got six RIR's. I fell in love! I try and keep my flock in the 20's, but thinking by next winter I will have 30 for the coop and 10 silkies for pets/breeding in the shop. Branching out with turkeys this year. Going slow. I love the eggs they give me and the meat is wonderful! There is nothing like KNOWING where your food comes from. Chickens ARE a gateway drug for more farm critters. Be warned, but it is the best drug out there!

That was so long ago I don't remember why I ever got chickens. Must have been about 1974 or 75. My mother & lived in the country, she hated chickens because she had grown up on an egg farm with 2,000 chickens. The farmers I used to work for when I was a kid used to give me ducks, geese, chickens, runt pigletts, orphaned calves, kittens, puppies and everything else they didn't want so I guess that's what started it.

I grew up with them. Lived 20 years in big cities not giving them a thought, then life slowed down a bit. I woke up one day and realized I wanted chickens again. Not sure why, it just felt right. It's been such a fun, challenging, and rewarding project for us. The eggs, pest control, compost, and garbage disposal aspects are all a bonus. The addiction part is completely true. I am glad I didn't build a bigger coop because I would fill it immediately, not a rational move.

At first they where just another source of income for our family livestock company then my little girl and I became hooked big time we started with mature birds now we've expanded to raising chicks. I keep catching myself looking at chicken for sale ads over cattle (our biggest source of income) I'm addicted!

We started with a goat and 2 red chickens we bought at the flea market just to keep from mowing the grass in a fenced area behind our house. Loved the chickens so much that a few months later bought 4 ( those look cute) chickens. We finally had to get rid of the goat because he tore up the fence. Abiut a year later raccoons killed the whole flock.
I did a lot of studying , bought a few magazines and we built a nice chicken coop to protect them and 5 RIR's in it and have ordered 10 buff Orpingtons and 5 silver wtlyndots to fill it. I am just getting started good but I am loving it.

My coop is probably about 75 years old. My mother and father in law have had chickens since they were first married. My husband and I inherited the property that the coop is on and our house . We just took over the chickens from them. My son absolutely loved them and would sell eggs all over town to help pay for things while he was growing up. He actually won a State Award in Poultry in FFA when he was a freshman, his project was very good. After he moved out and got married, my husband took over again and this past summer I and my 3 year old grandson have taken over! I love fresh eggs and I love that people come to our house to get them. We even have an open door policy, if we are not home come in and get your eggs and leave your money on the counter! We have about 65 hens. Even though my farmer husband has taken care of them for a long time, I have told him of things I have learned on this site that he didn't know!

Back
Top Bottom