Whyy must she torture me?

Onebroodymomma

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 19, 2014
I have a hen that keeps acting like she is broody. She gets all puffy and tucks all the eggs under her. She pecks at me and the other chickens that get too close while she is in the nesting box. She has even plucked a few breast feathers.

The issue? She will sit on the nest, on eggs, for 3 or 4 days. Then, she decides she is done and gets up and never comes back. She leaves the started eggs to just sit. This is the third time she has abandoned her nest.

What the heck hen? I am not going to let her keep any eggs again.

How do I either get her to just sit on her eggs and hatch them, or stop sitting and starting eggs?

How do I either get her to just sit on her eggs and hatch them, or stop sitting and starting eggs?

Unfortunately, you can't force her to stay broody. As she has shown a pattern of quitting, your best option is to just remove all eggs daily - especially when she is showing signs of another broody bout. Since her broodiness is so short-lived, there is no point to going to the trouble of trying to break her each time, so just take the eggs and she'll break herself.

Back
Top Bottom