Wichita Cabin Coop - Build Journal

We spent the weekend working on the coop. Ran out of plywood so we ran to Lowe's for one more sheet and some more 2x4s. I think that'll do us though. Just need to make the hen house door, nest box lids, roost, hen house door and trim work and we'll bee done! I say that knowing full well that it's a 3 day affair.

The last photo is the board we will use as the ramp from the run to the hen house.

where are you located in STL? I'm relocating there and wondering some specifics on chicken laws. Considering U City, Tower Grove, and Princeton Heights areas. I've found a couple things in the news about chickens in Tower Grove, but not a ton of info.

Sorry Chesca, we're out on the metro east side of things. Don't know anyone in those neighborhoods although places that have farmers markets are a bit more friendly to chickens it seems.

Like you said, since I'm building it in reverse the roof line does impact how high the door is. The door opening itself is 60". I'm 6'2" and have to duck down just a bit, which I'm sure that I'll pay for at some point with a good head knocking. Fortunately, the top row of concrete block under the coop is above grade a bit. Thanks for reading!

Like you said, since I'm building it in reverse the roof line does impact how high the door is. The door opening itself is 60". I'm 6'2" and have to duck down just a bit, which I'm sure that I'll pay for at some point with a good head knocking. Fortunately, the top row of concrete block under the coop is above grade a bit. Thanks for reading!
LOL...Like 14", way more than just a bit. If you wear a ball cap, you better put some padding on the front of the crown!

LOL...Like 14", way more than just a bit. If you wear a ball cap, you better put some padding on the front of the crown!
Ha! No, it's not THAT far down! The bottom board on the coop you have to step over is a 2x6 and the base also rests on the concrete block, which is another 6" less, so it's only around 2-3" that I have to duck down.

Thanks! I'm thinking of building the WCC as well. I live in Az and shade is a huge concern. With the layout of my yard, the only place that makes since, the normal design would not provide the shade that I'm wanting. So like you I thought about mirroring the coop, to enhance the roofs shade production. Thanks for the help! I'll be following and asking questions as you go along! Good luck

Back
Top Bottom