Wierd Chicken Behavior!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by HappyClucker7, Aug 28, 2016.

1. HappyClucker7

HappyClucker7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2016
    Hi!

My RIR, Penny, did something strange and I don't know why. I was cleaning up when she sat into the nest box. I thought she was going to lay an egg, and I was really excited, because it would be her firs egg. I went out of the coop and waited. She made sounds like as if she were laying. Then, everything got really quiet. I heard her walking around so I thought she was done. I looked in and there was no egg. I just saw Penny, walking around and picking through the shavings, and every now and then, pick one up and put it on her back!

Does anyone know why she could be doing this?

Thanks!

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Point of lay pullets will usually "scope out" nest boxes in the weeks or days prior to laying. It's very normal for them to go in, scratch around, and even spend some time sitting but then leave without laying an egg. You should expect an egg from her soon.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    POL pullets aren't sure what is happening to them, you can bet the first egg is a real surprise.

4. HappyClucker7

HappyClucker7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2016
    Why was she putting shavings on her back though?

5. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

It's a nesting behavior. I can't fathom why they do it, though.

6. Cel45

Cel45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    I think that the nest material on the back is not the real intention. She is making a nest and rearranging things. I the wild, the hen would scoop out a bowl on the ground and line it. She is just moving things around. Cleaning house if you will.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by