1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wierd egg-laying situation... just making sure nothing's wrong

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by suburbanchick, Sep 17, 2007.

1. suburbanchick

suburbanchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    So, I posted on here the other day about my EE not laying for a week... then she finally did. A few people thought I was complaining about not getting eggs, but I wasn't. We still have eggs in the fridge and I don't really care about that right now. I just want to make sure nothing is wrong and this situation sounds strange to me.

Well, after the EE laid that one four days ago, she hasn't laid again. No big deal, I agree.

But I have 3 others (wyandottes) and they've all four been laying practically every day. For the past two days I have gotten nothing from all four. Today (day #3), I got one egg and it was unusually large and had some strange-looking striations on it. I'll post it here and hopefully you'll be able to make them out... it's a bulge in the center. Also, it's bigger than any grocery store egg I've ever seen. There is also one of their normal sized eggs for comparison.

This whole hen and egg thing is new to me, so can any of you experienced people tell me if it's normal? I can understand variations in one or two hens, but when it's all 4 it makes me think something wierd is going on.

A few more details: it's been cooler than normal here so I don't think it's the heat, and they aren't acting sick or anything.

Thanks!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2007
  2. countrygirl4513

countrygirl4513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    I'm not an expert but I have 7 girls and only 3 are laying now. I'm not concerned due to the fact that 4 of them have been convalescing since the dog attack. But of the 7 I have 2 black langshans, 2 blue cochins, 2 light brahmas and 1 buff cochin. 1 from each pair is laying except for the buff. I have been bumfuzzled over why they didn't all mature like their sisters did and start laying. But then they dog attack happened and they aren't healed enough to lay, is what I'm supposing. But had the attack not happened I just chalk mine up to late bloomers. And there are times they won't lay every day. I"ll get 2 eggs one day and then 3 the next day.
    Are you sure things are well with them, no egg bound situation I mean? Are you feeding them layer feed? Sometimes I think its the fact that they are young girls and haven't got the hang of it yet, as far as mine go that's the way I feel about it. Keep watch, they may be laying somewhere other than the boxes (that is if you are freeranging them).

Last edited: Sep 17, 2007
  3. suburbanchick

Apr 7, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Thanks for the reply. I do give them layer feed, and oyster shell as a supplement. Also, lots of veggie and fruit scraps... but not so much that they don't eat their pellets... they eat A LOT.

I do let them free range and I have a small fenced in yard so I've looked everywhere and the eggs aren't there.

If they're egg bound, would it be obvious that something is wrong? Then I'm thinking that would be a heck of a coincidence that all 3 or 4 of them have been egg bound.

I'll keep watching them!

4. TundraChick

TundraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2007
    West Viriginia
    It is molting season and egg producing goes down.

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    It is time for them to molt ...mine have dropped off on the egg laying too...

6. suburbanchick

Apr 7, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    I thought molting happened in the summer bc of the heat. Maybe it takes a while for their bodies to catch up with the temp? It's been close to 100 almost every day this summer and they've laid like champs. It's just wierd that this happens when it's finally comfortable outside for a few days, with fall-like temps. Perhaps that is it though... thanks everyone!

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I have a hen who drops some of thoes at times. It's normal. No worries.

8. Blondie

Blondie Chillin' With My Peeps

I betcha it's a double yolk. [​IMG]

9. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    My understanding is that moulting has more to do with replacing/renewing feathers for winter (sort of like migratory birds) and not so much losing due to summer heat.

I know my ladies starting moulting as soon as the temps started dipping (6wks ago here.. crappy summer!).

HOLY COW What an enormous egg!!!!

-Meghan

Last edited: Sep 18, 2007
  10. suburbanchick

Apr 7, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Quote:Ahhhh, that makes sense. That has to be it then... I'll stop worrying.

And Blondie, yes I'm certain it's a double-yolker, although I haven't cracked it open yet. I get a double yolker at least once a week and they are no where near that size. Could be a very stupid question, but here goes... are triple yolkers possible? That's what I'm thinking it is looking at the size of it... it's like a freakin' goose egg!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by