Wierd feather and behavior change

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jubylives, Sep 20, 2008.

1. jubylives

jubylives Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2007
    Central Iowa
    Here are some pics of the chicken in question. I just noticed this today as I've been working. I'm not sure what is wrong with her so I decided to go ahead and quarentine her in case.

She is one of my calmer chickens and it took me awhile to catch her and she put up a fuss when I did. I've been getting some real thin shelled eggs which I'm now assuming are from her and I'm not sure yet what her poo looks like.

I've never had a chicken look like this before. I'm kinda hoping she's alreaady getting better as there are new feathers coming back but her demeanor is now different. Thanks for any advice/idea anyone can give.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh and her whole body used to be the color of her head.

Jeremy

Last edited: Sep 20, 2008
  2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    She's moulting. Perfectly normal looking and she will regrow them all. It is a stressful time for chickens, so some behavioral changes may be noted during moult. She should return to normal in a few weeks.

Jody

3. claud

claud Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    PA
    Yup, normal looking molt.
    You should see one hen I have - she practically looks like a porcupine at this point! I wish I had a pic.

4. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

She's crabby because she's moulting.
    And sometimes their colours change a bit as they get older...
    Obelisk my Leghorn started out solid black, but as she's gotten older she's moulted in some white splash feathers in her tail and wings...

5. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    And since it's just a molt, no need to quarantine. She'll probably feel better if she's with her buddies.
    JJ

6. jubylives

jubylives Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2007
    Central Iowa
    Ok good. I'm glad that's all it is. I'll go let crabbypatties out of quarentine since all is ok. [​IMG] Thanks for the help.

Jeremy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by