Wierd feather and behavior change

jubylives

Songster
12 Years
Mar 23, 2007
Central Iowa
Here are some pics of the chicken in question. I just noticed this today as I've been working. I'm not sure what is wrong with her so I decided to go ahead and quarentine her in case.

She is one of my calmer chickens and it took me awhile to catch her and she put up a fuss when I did. I've been getting some real thin shelled eggs which I'm now assuming are from her and I'm not sure yet what her poo looks like.

I've never had a chicken look like this before. I'm kinda hoping she's alreaady getting better as there are new feathers coming back but her demeanor is now different. Thanks for any advice/idea anyone can give.

P1011644.jpg

P1011642.jpg

P1011641.jpg

P1011640.jpg

P1011638.jpg

P1011637.jpg

P1011636.jpg

Oh and her whole body used to be the color of her head.

Jeremy

Last edited:
She's moulting. Perfectly normal looking and she will regrow them all. It is a stressful time for chickens, so some behavioral changes may be noted during moult. She should return to normal in a few weeks.

Jody

Yup, normal looking molt.
You should see one hen I have - she practically looks like a porcupine at this point! I wish I had a pic.

She's crabby because she's moulting.
And sometimes their colours change a bit as they get older...
Obelisk my Leghorn started out solid black, but as she's gotten older she's moulted in some white splash feathers in her tail and wings...

Ok good. I'm glad that's all it is. I'll go let crabbypatties out of quarentine since all is ok.
big_smile.png
Thanks for the help.

Jeremy

Back
Top Bottom