Wierd pullets

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Five Points John, May 19, 2011.

1. Five Points John

Five Points John Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    They're about 2 mo. old and just got them. I thied feeding them bread and some earth worms and they just turned their noses at it. They have been on feed all of their lives. Do you think they will come around? Thanks john

2. NanaLantana

NanaLantana Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    Lantana, Florida
    I've never had a chicken enjoy earthworms - and bread is not a staple food for chickens. If you're not going to buy feed, you'll have to work harder at feeding them than bread and earthworms! You could buy and learn to grow mealworms, but these too are fed as a protein treat. If they free range all day, they might be able to find enough food - but when you keep chickens you usually have to buy them some feed. They like greens, grass, fruit, etc. But you have to teach them to eat all this stuff, since they're still babies.
    Try and get some 'grower' feed. Just my two cent's worth![​IMG]

3. blefky

blefky life in the yard

Mar 18, 2010
    stamford, ct
    Hi John! [​IMG] Is your concern that they are turning down treats? You say that they are taking their feed well, correct? If so, they'll be fine. They're in a new environment and will need to time to acclimate. I'd wager that as they become accustomed to their new home and new boss (you!), they'll get more interested in the treats. Good luck with them and [​IMG]

4. Five Points John

Five Points John Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    I'm sorry Nanalantans I should have said they are getting a 20% feed free choice. They just don't care for the treats. And yes They are eating the feed fine. and that's what I kind of thought blefky. I've had cattle and hog in the past and if they wern't eating I'd be worried. Thanks John

5. P-Funk

P-Funk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Franktown
    My 2 month olds love celery, chopped into tiny bits, and had their first bowl of oatmeal today! I've tried alot, but that's all they want so far. They will stay on %18 starter/grower for another 6 weeks, too.

6. Kudzu

Kudzu Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    Trust me, they will come around, I had to get my wife to run around and show them how to catch grasshoppers, but it worked'

7. Laigaie

Laigaie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Fayetteville, AR
    Keep offering. If you're just got the pullets, they may have no idea that you're offering FOOD instead of some weird funny-colored, funny-smelling, funny-looking human thing. It took our hens showing the pullets that OMG THIS IS FOOD before the girls would even think about eating worms or scraps. Just keep trying, even if it means leaving stuff on the ground near their coop.

8. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have had ones that age turn their beaks up at treats before. They come around. [​IMG]

9. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    Hey John, you could moisten the feed and offer it to them from your hand. This may make them connect you with good treats.

10. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    [​IMG]

My birds were picky when it came to treats at first too (my 1 1/2 y/o BO still prefers regular feed). One thing mine did go crazy over was a plate of cooked oatmeal with raisins (soak the raisins to soften them). Once the first one tries it, stand back because there is going to be a mess. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by