Wierdo "broody" pullet

Leo1

Songster
11 Years
Jul 1, 2011
Saco, Maine
So, this is just a curiosity question. Wondering if anyone else has had a weirdo like this girl. So, 2-3 months ago, my, now, 9 month old Marans started acting like she was going to attempt to go broody. When she's in the yard, she's doing the broody cluck and posture and all that stuff. She's plucked all the feathers from her underside. She clearly thinks she's broody, but hasn't tried to sit and continues to lay and get herself off the nest when she's done, but the broody behavior continues. Totally just curious; anyone else had this?

It's possible for a hen to go partially broody. Genetics plays the biggest role in a hen going broody. This one of yours may be telling you she will be a serial broody over her active egg laying years.

I had a serial broody for eight years until a bobcat ate her. From her youngest years, she would go broody three times every season. I could count her eggs, and then predict the exact day she would go broody, her pattern of laying and going broody was so consistent.

It's possible for a hen to go partially broody. Genetics plays the biggest role in a hen going broody. This one of yours may be telling you she will be a serial broody over her active egg laying years.

I had a serial broody for eight years until a bobcat ate her. From her youngest years, she would go broody three times every season. I could count her eggs, and then predict the exact day she would go broody, her pattern of laying and going broody was so consistent.
Oh, wow! I've only had one truly broody hen. She was around 9 months old and never went broody again. Guess she decided she didn't like motherhood 😘 She was a good mom, though. I hear Marans have broody tendancies; should be interesting. I'm curious to see if molt snaps her out of it. This batch of birds has been super weird, in general.

Back
Top Bottom