Wiggly eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Ctptcha, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Ctptcha

Ctptcha Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2013
    Hi,
    I have got 9 pekin eggs incubating(One wouldn't fit in the bator
    So we made him a quick fix of our homemade bator but He's wiggly
    Like the others) and today is Their fourth day in the bator(We are
    Using a janoel12 incubator). So when I candled them, All the eggs
    On one side where moving when I walked while all the eggs on the other
    Side would stay in one spot(maybe jiggling a bit). The extra egg is
    Jiggling a lot as well. I'm very worried so please help!!! Thanks!

2. CSisley

CSisley Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Eastern NC
    What are you worried about??

1 person likes this.
  3. Ctptcha

Sep 15, 2013
    My extra egg is kind of stuck to the top of the egg and
    It's got no veins after the fifth day. Should I be worried?
    Should I throw it away? Thanks so much for answering!

4. CSisley

CSisley Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Eastern NC
    If you aren't seeing any veins after the 5th day it's probably no good. However, as a general rule I personally don’t throw anything out until the 8th day. It’s the day I’ve come to feel comfortable with because I figure it’s long enough for possible slow developers to show signs of life but not so long you run the risk of rotten exploding eggs hurting the others.

1 person likes this.
  5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I'm not sure if you are talking about Peking ducks or chickens, but I personally don't toss any eggs until I go into lockdown. Some of us have better eyes than others, some shells are darker than others, and we use a lot of different techniques to candle. I have some dark brown and green chicken eggs that I do good to see the air cell even when I clean my glasses, though other eggs I have no trouble seeing into. I just don’t toss eggs really early. I’m getting pretty good at it but I still occasionally get a surprise, especially in the darker eggs.

Whether the egg is developing or not has nothing to do with whether it will explode or go rotten and seep foul liquids. That is caused by bacteria getting inside the egg. Once inside bacteria has the perfect food (the egg) and is kept at the perfect temperature for rapid bacteria growth. If it gets inside, that bacteria will grow whether there is a chick or duckling growing in there too. It will just kill the chick or duckling if one is developing.

There are a few tricks to keeping the bacteria out of the egg. When the egg is laid a coating called bloom is put on the outside of the egg to help keep bacteria out. That bloom is what makes a newly laid egg look damp. Bloom is not perfect but it does a really good job of keeping bacteria out. So don’t remove the bloom on eggs you plan to hatch. Don’t wash the eggs and don’t scratch the bloom off.

Keep the incubator or nest clean. Go to great pains to have a clean sterile incubator when you set the eggs.

Keep your hands clean when you are handling the eggs. If your hands are wet, oily, greasy, or gunky wash and dry them before you handle the eggs.

Don’t incubate dirty eggs. I’m not talking about eggs that may have a dried smear on them, I’m talking about eggs that have a chunk of poop or dirt stuck to them.

You can do all this and still get a rotten egg, but it is really pretty rare. I don’t toss eggs just because I’m worried about not-developing eggs going bad. The developing eggs are at the same risk.

I’m not familiar with that incubator and don’t really understand what you mean by the egg being kind of stuck to the top. While “stuck to the top” worries me some, if the egg is at the right temperature and is being turned I’d keep going with it for a while. It may surprise you.

1 person likes this.
  6. Ctptcha

Sep 15, 2013
    Thanks guys! I can see veins in all the eggs exept in the extra one which I can see is not rotten(I'm using white duck eggs). I will make sure to clean whatever touches my eggs from now on. Thanks so much!!!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by