1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wilbur's comb has a problem

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by McGoo, Mar 9, 2012.

1. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

For the last few weeks my roo Wilbur, has had a problem with his comb. It's not due to frostbite since the weather has been quite warm and the coop was never really too cold this year.
    I've looked at the comb problems listed and don't see a match. He's got this on both sides, but not symetrical. Help is appreciated.
    Thanks[​IMG]

2. nuchickontheblock

nuchickontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    south portland, maine
    Has he had any injury that you were aware of? is the whitish area dry or moist?? It looks kind of like a fungus, but I don't have any experience with that on a comb.

3. McGoo

no, no known injuries. He's 4 yrs old and very healthy otherwise.
    Any ideas on what it is and/or what to treat it with. Wilbur is an easy going boy, so treating him isn't problematic. I just don't want to guess if someone really knows,
    thanks,
    Colleen

4. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Just as "something to do while you're waiting to figure out what's wrong" - get some organic virgin coconut oil. It melts at 76 degrees so if it's hard, just rub some in your hands - then massage it into the comb. It's anti-bacterial, anti-viral, anti everything bad! And it will not hurt anything! Don't get regular coconut oil - all the good stuff has been processed out!

5. McGoo

So, of all the things I have in the kitchen cabinet.... there's some spectrums natural no preservatives coconut oil. It doesn't say organic and it's >5yrs old. Any good to use?

6. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    It's worth a try! Does it smell like coconut? The overly processed stuff does NOT, but the truly natural stuff has a light coconut smell. I'd put it on several times a day!

7. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Can you get some better pics? I think he might have favus. I need some better pics to tell for sure.

8. McGoo

Doesn't smell like coconut at all. Maybe it's bad. I'll stop at store tomorrow and get some. I don't want to put something rancid on him. Just another reason why I need to clean out my cabinets. [​IMG]

Thanks for the help

9. McGoo

what is favus? Will it infect the others? And do you need a real closeup?

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    x2. Favus can be treated with miconazole. (If that's what it is) Lotrimin antifungal spray or ointment will take care of it. If you use the spray, spray it on your fingers and quickly rub it onto the comb. It's cold coming out of the can and evaporates quickly. Dont get it in his eyes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by