Wild Berries?

yes he isnt alound them.

myu mum put them onthe table when we got given them so i can take a look and google the image but when i got there was a note to tell me about searching the grapes but no grapes!

luckily he was ok and i kept a very good eye on himand my mum and i both know not to leave anything on the table thats food or for the chickens

if buddy my dog catches on to the fact that there is food for the chickens he has to eat it no matter what - he gets jelous even if you giv him dog treats its not the same and heignores all food and toys if chickens get anything new !

Quote:
Mine ate rhubarb leaves months ago. Rhubarb leaves are poisonous, so yep, "garbage disposals"!

My girls LOVE our home-grown grapes. Ditto black currants!
wink.png

Your second photo actually looks like the last Saw Palmetto berries left on the saw palmettos. But I can see both grape leaves and saw palmetto fronds in your photos. If the berries are attached the the vines they would be grapes, if they are attached to the palms they would be saw palmetto berries. I expect wild grapes in Florida to look bigger and juicier like the muscadines and scuppernongs. But those are wild grapes up here, I don't remember what they looked like when I lived in the Naples area.

I saw a photo online and they called the southern grapes and mentioned making wine, however I was always told as a child never to eat them becaue they are poisonous?? Regardless I dont plan on taking that chance
smile.png
Ill buy my wine in a bottle! My chickens will spend all day under my cabbage palms eating the berries! I assume they are ok for them because they havent been sick. If im not mistaken its the primary food for bears out here and can be illegal to pick them. We always have men picking barrels of them to ship to Mexico for families to make things with them, makeup being a big product. However because it is the bears main food source it becomes illegal because you are taking from a protected animal.. long story short, my chickens love love love them so I as long as they are happy im happy!!

Regarding dogs, grapes/raisins are very toxic and can cause liver failure and failure of other organs due to the toxic chemicals in them. Im not sure how much they would have to consume to be severely ill.

Quote:
The bolded describes Saw Palmetto berries, not grapes. They are a major food source for bears and it is illegal to pick them on gov't lands or on private property unless you have the permission of the owner. They are used in a supplement that is supposed to support prostate health, that is why they are collected. I am a biologist and used to work for Palm Beach County managing county lands and we often had our LE folks bust people on our natural areas for poaching the saw palmetto berries.

Saw palmetto berries should also be safe for your chickens to eat.

Quote:
The bolded describes Saw Palmetto berries, not grapes. They are a major food source for bears and it is illegal to pick them on gov't lands or on private property unless you have the permission of the owner. They are used in a supplement that is supposed to support prostate health, that is why they are collected. I am a biologist and used to work for Palm Beach County managing county lands and we often had our LE folks bust people on our natural areas for poaching the saw palmetto berries.

Saw palmetto berries should also be safe for your chickens to eat.

Thank you for that information!! Glad to have the name of them and happy my chickens health isnt affected!

Back
Top Bottom