Wild Birbs

View attachment 3216659

I write a lot about really wanting to capture that perfect photo of a Red Kite, it's no secret that they are one of my favourite birds of prey in the UK. Many may not know that this bird achieved something absolutely astonishing over here - coming back from the brink of extinction!

The birds were hunted out of fear that they'd eat livestock and pets, little did people realise they're not much for hunting! Red kites mainly eat carrion and worms, but they can be opportunistic and will occasionally take small mammals.

View attachment 3216658

See the full recovery here: https://www.nationalgeographic.co.uk/animals/2022/03/how-the-uks-red-kites-came-back-from-the-brink
I didn’t know that about kites. I’m happy they’re making a comeback!

Sadly, people don’t realize the importance of the predators until they’re gone. Then they complain about all the little dirty creatures that invade because there’s no predators to hunt them. SMH

I didn’t know that about kites. I’m happy they’re making a comeback!

Sadly, people don’t realize the importance of the predators until they’re gone. Then they complain about all the little dirty creatures that invade because there’s no predators to hunt them. SMH
It's very sad, but great that they're absolutely everywhere now! Especially in this county. Never realised they had a wingspan of nearly 2 metres though, that's crazy big!

Finally got some good photos, what do you think?
P1080297.jpg
P1080306.jpg
P1080333.jpg

I like pigeons!

A wild one flew onto my family's property when I was a kid, and although it seemed uninjured and healthy, it decided to hang around. Eventually, Pidgy was housed in an old rabbit kennel to keep him safe from predators. He could leave at any time, but spent the rest of his life with us.

Coming through to bring back this thread!

Lost almost my entire flock of quail, took some time out and then went on two "minibreak" holidays here in the UK. Been great to spend some time with the family! Don't have so many photos as I've been distracted but I have a few!

Back
Top Bottom