Wild birds co-habit with backyard chickens??

piecesofcasss

In the Brooder
Feb 1, 2023
Currently a backyard bird-feeder with various types of seed and nectar feeders.

Are there any considerations when bringing chickens to the property?

can the two exist together?? 💛

Specifically, will wild birds still consider my home a haven/safe space for them, and visit here year after year.

Thanks !
@piecesofcasss on instagram! 😊

Hi there,
The wild birds will bring diseases and parasites to your flock.
Your flock will give the wild bird diseases to spread to other people flocks and vice versa.
The wild birds will eat all your chickens feed and it's not good for them.
Are you aware that avian flu is still a concern and is spread by wild birds?
You can move your poultry to a seperate area and completely screen them in. Like wild birds get the front yard and poultry get the back yard.
Tldr: No, not with any health.
Please remove your instagram handle. :]

Specifically, will wild birds still consider my home a haven/safe space for them, and visit here year after year.

Thanks !
Nuthatched has a point (re. Avian flu Missouri)USDA reported 9000 hens were destroyed in Springfield. I love the idea of free ranging but mine are ‘cooped’ 100% in a big run that wild songbirds frequent too, sharing their feed. Guess they’re all healthy, no diseases just the usual bickering. Lol

Last edited:

Thanks !
What I have noticed is chickens have a strong impact on the invertebrate community that wild birds consume. You will likely see some of the birds that focus on ground to drop out.

That said, you will likely see an increase in the birds that will consume grains and they will likely intermingle a lot.

My chickens also directly prey on some smaller birds and will kill fledgelings they find on the ground.

Back
Top Bottom