Wild Chicken eggs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KevinHicks, Dec 29, 2012.

1. KevinHicks

KevinHicks Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2012
    I have a stray chicken that roams my property (I think she's jealous of my two plymouth's in the coop), but I just found where she is laying... Is there any danger in eating her eggs? I mean, a chicken is a chicken right? I just don't want to get sick, so what precautions should I take if any?

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    No problems, as long as they're not too old. Just consider them free range eggs lol~

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG]

You can check the freshness of the eggs by dropping them in a bowl of water. Fresh eggs will lay flat on the bottom, stale eggs will stand up and rotten or really old eggs will float.

4. KevinHicks

KevinHicks Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2012
    That is very comforting and informative! Sounds like the biggest problem I have now is--Scrambled or Fried! lol

5. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    You might want to put some dummy eggs where she is laying so she will keep laying there and won't move her nest. By the way, my aunt used to break ALL eggs into a cup or small bowl before adding the egg to the pan or whatever she was cooking. That way if there was a problem with the egg, she could just throw it out and not ruin anything. She did this whether the eggs were from her own chickens or were store bought.

Ol Grey Mare likes this.
  6. chicken moma

chicken moma Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2015
    Hawaii
    Aloha, I have feral chicken too.
    I used to find egg remnants (we also have a mongoose.) the hens started to lay in the carport and if the truck window was open, watch where you sit.
    I had an old milk crate on the front step for slippa, now the hens take turns in the crate? we have 8 eggs at the moment from 3 hens? they share who knew!
    I numbered the eggs with a marker and pull out the new. They are smaller than Costco but I know when they were laid :)

cutiepie960 likes this.
  7. cutiepie960

cutiepie960 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2014
    Aloha!
    I have a feral hen & a rooster & i really DON'T want any chicks at all!!! but how do i know where she is laying in case she mates with the rooster!!!! i will NOT tolerate a chicken colony at my house!!!! PLEASE HELP!!! Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!
    Aloha
    Lila Ann

8. cutiepie960

cutiepie960 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2014
    Aloha
    Oh i forgot to mention that Henry the roo & Hennrietta the hen r free rangers during the day & cooped up at night!
    Lila Ann

9. dfalco

dfalco Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2014
    Howe, Oklahoma
    So, you want to find where the hen is laying? Keep a close eye on her, and she'll lead you to her stash. A few days ago, I found a hen sitting in a flower bed. So I kept the hen's in their pen for a couple days, to get her laying back in her box.

Maybe she won't sit on her eggs, even if they are fertile. Many chickens won't.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by