"Wild" Chicken

Neither hen in this thread is a Golden Sebright. Latter hen might be a gamehen like first although I can not see body well enough to make an educated guess. Ideally she would be photographed from the side. Distortion of photograph above could be making her look like some sort of bantam cross.

Here's a better pick of her when she's younger after her bath.

Hen pictured is an American Game (fighting chicken). Black coloration most typical of strains known as Warhorse or Sid Taylors although others can be so colored. I keep games. They are very easy to tame even when starting with a flighty bird. Games I have in yard are handily the most personable birds you will find and are relatively easy to train to fly up to you for food. Hens also make exceptional mothers. Egg production can be decent for about 6 months of the first two years of life where you might be able to get 120 eggs per season. By the time hens are six you will be lucky to get 40 eggs per year.

An update on this hen now that a few years have passed. She, Jane, has been the best hen of all. She is the smartest and has been a great mother to 3 separate groups of day-old chicks. So glad she found us. I'd love to have a flock of her smart healthy breed@

Back
Top Bottom