Wild duck hybrids

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by poultry bro, Jul 3, 2016.

1. poultry bro

poultry bro Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2014
    Hello everybody I have a strange question and idk if anybody has the answer I seek but here goes everybody has seen the ducks around parks and lakes and we know they aren't wild ducks they are ducks people released at one point or another my question is is it legal to catch these feral ducks and keep them with the rest of my domestic flock? I don't see a problem with that at all but what if they are crossed with wild mallards does this make them illegal to take? I personally wouldn't think so since I've seen fish and game complain about them ruining the blood of wild mallards which makes perfect sense but is it legal to take hybrids? Or feral ducks an answer would be greatly appreciated cuz if I ever wanted more ducks that had more of an ability to survive I wouldn't mind taking feral ducks

2. Welshies

Welshies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Not sure where you are located. Check your state and federal laws.
    However, stray (feral) dogs and cats are often taken in randomly, so if you took in some birds, checked them for health (maybe even by a vet for pollurum? Typhoid) I'm sure if we can shoot feral cats, you can adopt feral ducks. Try taking ducklings though, it will be less traumatic.

3. poultry bro

poultry bro Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2014
    I figured as much I'm in california and we see mute swans and various breeds and hybrids of ducks and geese I just wonder wether it's legal or not especially if they are misled with wild fowl but I have seen people talk about how the domestic fowl are weakening the wild populations blood which makes total sence

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    If they are at a city park you may have to ask permission but hopefully who ever is in charge would love to see the mixed breeds re homed. I think it's a great idea.

@poultry bro

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by