Wild Easter Eggers

luckitri

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 13, 2008
Other breeds that we have gotten in the past took to us instantly and started following us around like we were momma.

These "Aracauna" but really easter eggers are so wild. I have not had the time to spend with them that I would need to tame them but they are getting the hang of things and they do communicate their needs and pleasure or displeasure but they are very wild compared to the other breeds I have had in past.

What I have read about this breed has never indicated their wild tendencies - just the opposite. Why are these that I have wild and what is necessary to tame them or will they never be very tame?

I ask because eventually when they are older I want to let them out of the playpen to run around the yard more but if they are going to be difficult to catch (right now my dog does catch them for me when they get loose.) physically I can't do it and it would also be dangerous for them if they do not learn to mind like our other chickens did.

My EE's are some of the friendliest wild chickens I have. What I mean is that they are the first to fly up to me when I have a treat and crowd around, but I'm not likely to ever touch one. They free range with the rest of my flock and go back inside at noght with no problems.I'm sure that using treats, you will be able to get them to go anywhere you want!

Richard

I was noticing this too with mine. We hatched out 2 EE about a week ago and they don't seem as friendly as the little bantam chick that hatched at the same time. I keep handling them and I hope they get better. Thank goodness we only have 2 EE's.

It may depend on the particular strain you got. Some are flightier than others. Personally, all of mine are flighty. Not quite as bad as the leghorns, but the leghorns will follow behind you so close that if you stop they will run into the back of your legs.
lol.png

My wildest bird is also my tamest! That would be my unknown mixed hen, Brandy.

I don't know if an Ameraucana with some silkie would be an EE, but if so, mine is a bit flighty, too. Like MaransGuy said, mine comes flying out right to me when it's treat or free range time, but you would think I was going to the chopping block with her when I pick her up (if I can even catch her!). However, once I catch her, she does calm down and doesn't try to get away; she even purrs and coos when I stroke her under her neck.

Same thing here. Mine ended up being one hen and one rooster...the male had to be re-homed because he was so mean to the other chickens. My girl is "sweet" in her own way, but has a serious "do not touch" policy. She has been babied her entire life, just like my sweet little snugglers. When I do pick her up she actually screams. She is well behaved though and never causes any trouble at all. I enjoy having her despite her anti social personality.

Mine are getting used to the routine but still do not come to me although they start crying to come in as it gets dark and their feet get cold.

My alpha dog is frustrated that she does not get to play with them but honestly if she did not catch the little one for me that one would have been eaten by a neighbor cat.

Sometimes I get the happy noise when they see me and they are even learning to miss me and cry to get me to come visit even when nothing is wrong but still not tame.

The wild birds come and tell them stories and put a scare on them. There is a little wren that visits and it is cute because they like him and they get so excited and fluttery that they have a guest. They are definitely confused since the wild birds tell them they need to get wild.

I am wondering if moving the pen every day will be enough variety for them or if eventually they will need a bigger space.

the thing with easter eggers, is because they're a mixed breed, not pure, you never know what you'll get. I have one thats very friendly and one that wouldn't care if she ever saw another human.

Pure Ameraucanas are supposed to be friendly.

Since I have seven of the different varities of ameraucana and have owned EE's I will tell you what I have found about flightiness.

First, my original ee's were not too flighty, but not into people.

My buffs are very calm.

My whites are also calm, like people.

My wheatens and blue wheatens are calm and really like people.

The silvers can go either way. I think it depends on how much time you spend with them. My current birds are ok, but would rather be with other birds. My cage trained girl likes people.

The blacks and blues go from one of the spectrum to the other. They can be either really flighty or pretty calm. I think it depends on how much time you spend with them. I think with them routine helps.

I think the more time you spend with them the more the get used to you.

I have noticed, though, if your brooder is overcrowded, that can cause some panic. May be your birds feel closed in and need more space.

Back
Top Bottom