Wild Gardening

I have been on the search for pawpaws to plant.

We sprouted paw paws from seed and they were growing well. But, someone in the family moved them a little to a covered spot and they got dried out while we were on vacation. We were going to plant them in the nearby woods as they were seeds from paw paws growing in the area.
Currently we have a bag of paw paw seeds in the fridge we will probably try to sprout and plant. They need cold temps for awhile before they will sprout. Can’t remember if they need any other special treatment.

Once we harvested several paw paws from the woods nearby and I made paw paw ice cream and it was very good!

114AE450-D33B-46B0-ADF7-39DAF8396107.jpeg
Here is the paw paw ice cream! September native paw paw harvest. They taste like smooth banana/sweet mango/very fruity aromatics all rolled into a fruit with big seeds. So, it made good ice cream!

thats super fun. I have wanted them for years. i have read all about the stratifying process time and time again over the years and i think i got that all down. fingers crossed i find seeds/fruits this year or even a couple small plants.

Do you have native paw paw trees in your area? If so, do you know where to find them? Here they are understory and can find several trees in an area here and there. Start looking for the green fruit clusters in July/Aug then you’ll know where to go when they are ripe. Ours tend to produce a lot one year, but hardly any the next year. Maybe you’ll get some this year!

I had a paw paw tree right on the creek by my deck. I was waiting for its first three fruits to ripen when it came down in a heavy rain, it was right on the bank, leaning over the creek. Talk about disappointment. I keep hoping another will sprout up nearby. There are places you can order them online. One right near me in Clinton, TN, they sell native plants only, but they don't ship west of the Mississippi.
Edit: http://www.tennesseenaturescapes.com/plant-products

Last edited:
I am barely at the beginning of my appleseed planting journey. I put these seeds in a damp paper towel in a sealed ziplock bag back in August 30th I believe, it is now February 16th (I forgot about them, I kept telling myself to plant them over a month ago). This is how much they’ve grown. I have to hurry up and plant them each in pots. Hopefully I’ll be able to do that tomorrow.

I’m doing this more for fun than for getting fruit out of these in the future. Sadly I forgot what kind of apples these were so I don’t know which other type I should get to help them pollinate when they’re old enough. I think they were honey crisp, sucks that I can’t remember.

If anyone has any appleseed growing experience please let me know. I will be making a thread if I can’t find some answers. Google is helpful, but they’re confusing sometimes.
52EAF0A8-EDC4-4857-BCB3-93877D485A9B.jpeg

Good luck with your seeds! Apple trees are beautiful regardless of wether they fruit or not. I had one that blossomed every year at my old house, but never fruited

I love trees and I hear apple trees get to be 30 ft so I’m like yay:celebrate well if I manage to keep them alive that long.

I just wanna know if it takes a whole year of growing them in a pot before I transplant them to their permanent ground spot or if they’ll be ready by fall to transplant, but I guess I’ll find out when I place em in pots.

Back
Top Bottom