Wild Mama duck & upcoming hurricane?

RosemaryDuck

Crowing
Dec 15, 2020
Florida
Hey all. Currently worrying over this and just wanna know if I should do anything here.

We have a huge group of (wild) Muscovy ducks that frequent the area. Everyone around here feeds them so they're not really 'wild' anymore technically. 2 days ago one of the female Muscovies hatched out 10 tiny babies.

They're doing great, but with this upcoming hurricane I'm super worried about them. I was thinking of making a small shelter or something for them, but I'm afraid they won't use it or it will simply get destroyed.

I also don't want to catch them because it risks separating the mom+ babies (since she can fly away & they cannot). I also don't know the legality of it (if they're considered wild or domestic/etc). Should I just leave them be and hope mama figures something out? What would you guys do?

Thanks for any advice in advance!!

Can you get them into a backyard where there is shrubbery for them to hide in to ride it out . So it's actually a hurricane now?
Not currently, the hurricane is coming Wednesday. They have a lot of areas to hide, just worried about the wind mostly. I'm running out now to make them a little house for outside. Hopefully that helps 🥺.

Just a quick update. I went a little overboard and made a fully decked out mini coop/shelter for them from wood. Ended up getting an awesome deal on a bunch of clearance wood at Home Depot so thought why not!

It's all finished and built, just have to set it outside & put hay inside. I hope they use it, but if not I can always use it for my own birds or something else!

I think if you can get momma duck into a large enough cage with a top, the chicks will stay close to momma and you you can grab them and put them into the cage. Remember to close the door each time you put someone in.
Once you have them all you can bring them inside and just keep them until the storm is over and bring them back to where they live. You will have saved their lives. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom