Wild Quail Birdhouses?

TheNewMrsEvans

Songster
11 Years
Sep 15, 2008
Big Sur, CA
We have about a million wild/native quail that come in our backyard to scratch, so i started putting out a feeder. The flying birds eat out of the feeder and shower the floor with seeds that the quail get. Now that it's getting cold and there are still a lot of young tiny ones, i was thinking of putting together some type of a coop for them to live in, just come and go as they please. I could put a waterer and some seed in there for the winter. Any suggestions on what this thing should be like? where could you buy something like this?
Thanks

If that was me (if i knew i wouldnt get in trouble by the game commission--not sure if you would but you could by feeding them but just saying if i wouldnt get caught...) I'd take like one huge slab of wood, and make sort of a three sided mini stall for them to go into, dark and maybe the front covered in some bush branches to make it look like a natural comfy hiding place. Then i'd put pine shavings on the floor and hope they use it....though those sort of things may make it easy for predators to get them.
I wish wild quail would visit here, maybe they do and i just never see them.
smile.png
I've only ever seen one wild quail in my life...well a hen and her newly hatched brood when i was just a kid.

Back
Top Bottom