Wild Rooster vs Barred Rock Chickens - HELP

ChickChick5

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 17, 2014
Pahoa, Hawaii
Hello,
I am new to raising 5 chickens. They are 1-1/2yrs old. I let them out of their coop and let them free in the yard. Well today I forgot to put them back in the coop before I left. Upon my return, all 5 were on the deck with a wild rooster and blood everywhere on my deck! I immediately chased the rooster out of my yard and return to the deck. One of my girls had blood on her feathers and foot. I immediately checked for any wounds and found nothing. Here in Hawaii, there are A LOT of wild roosters everywhere. I've only had them for a few weeks from a neighbor that just moved and I don't know if they ever had this problem.

We live in Hawaii and people have told me that I should be careful with mongoose here. They will kill my chickens! Now I have to worry about roosters!

I am thinking she was fighting with rooster. But something tells the rooster got her (if you know what I mean). I watched her and the others all day and noticed their daily pattern changed. I am really concern and I am hoping someone will answer a few questions.

1) Can a chicken fight off a rooster?

2) Do Roosters fight with hens?

3) What should I do at this point?

I am so clueless and any advice and/or answers is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

In my area the biggest problem is cats, as my neighbour Is a "crazy cat lady". The best advice I can give is that your yard is completely fenced off. Until you can find a permanent solution I think it's best you supervise your chickens whenever they are roaming. Good luck.
-M.H

if you have roaming rogue roosters and vicous attacking mongooses then youre probably not a candidate for free range chickens lol... we can free range our chickens with a loss or two every year or every other year or so and feel like the quality of life pros outweigh the cons...but it sounds like the best thing for you is to create a large spacious area where they are safe and secure from predators and keep them in there....

Thank you CollegeChicken & Marmalade Hens for your reply!

I do confine the girls in their area. Our property is fully fenced in. The girls have a pretty large area to roam around. I don't think they like it being confined as they are so use to roam free in the yard. Anyway, yesterday I bought those garden nets and covered their area. It took me a few hours to put together but I did it. Well a few hours later, the rooster was back and I watched him scope the coop area UNTIL he found the one spot that I thought he could NOT get in and he got in. My dad was with me and we cornered him and got him. We got in my car and drove for about 5 minutes and set him free in a neighborhood near the ocean. My dad stated the rooster use to be a fighting rooster (common here) and someone use to own him and they must have set him free and moved (common here too). How he knew was they scars on his feet.

When my husband return from his trip, we are going to build a more secure fenced area. He doesn't think it is necessary but I want my girls safe!

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom