Wild Roosters Attacking my flock.

GuamChicken

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 14, 2014
I live in an area with many wild roaming chickens. I have 14 Buff Orpington's, one is a senior Rooster. A big, really big nice looking BO rooster. But today he lost his second near death battle with invading roosters. I let the flock free range during the day around my compost piles, but apparently the local wild roos want the territory as well. I witnessed a fight a month ago with my Orp Roo and a single wild Roo and by the time I could break it up my Orp was bleeding badly and lost one eye permanently. The wild rooster was less than half his weight, but obviously a much more agile fighter. Today I saw two roosters approach, and my same Roo, Bob II, defended the flock valiantly, but lost badly. I found him in shock not moving and bleeding from his head badly. The thinner wild roosters are very adept at jumping high and attacking violently, I was shocked. So, anyway, I took him in and got him hydrated and warmed, now he is standing and the bleeding has stopped. I think he will make it , but I guess I can not let them free range anymore unless I can stand guard, which I cant. So far, my Bob has taken 2 beatings for the team. I find it interesting that the wild roos never bother the hens only confront the rooster in charge.

Are the wild roosters some breed of gamefowls? Coz they tend to fight unnecessarily.

Last edited:

Hi RooDen, I am not sure but probably. We have a big cockfighting thing here on Guam. It's legal and popular, I'm not knowledgeable or any part of it, so maybe the wanderers are gamefowl. I am clueless as to what they even look like, until i looked it up and saw this guy. He is the exact replica of what almost killed my Orp, ( twice ) a big long fanciful rooster tail. A beautiful bird really. Two of these guys attacked my Orp today. They look half the Orp's weight but that didn't matter obviously.

Ok i get it, yes that is a gamefowl 100% and they are very aggressive. They will fight just for the fun of it. Maybe you can build a pen for your chickens to keep them safe and an Orp is no match for these guys.

Oh, wow, thanks for the information. I really appreciate it. I didnt realize they were so aggressive until now, as I am not familiar with them. Now it makes sense to me, and if this is gamefowl, then I am surrounded by them !! They have to be the nicest looking birds I see, but I guess that is not the point. Haha !! They are never aggressive with me, but this is first series of attacks by this type of bird on my flock. Thanks for info.

The game breeds are the most aggressive an violent of all! There's no way your rooster would stand a chance, those other roosters attack their own kind from a young age, even hens! I also recommend a good chicken pen to keep those mean guys away from your rooster and hens. Plus wild roosters can bring disease.

The game breeds are the most aggressive an violent of all! There's no way your rooster would stand a chance, those other roosters attack their own kind from a young age, even hens! I also recommend a good chicken pen to keep those mean guys away from your rooster and hens. Plus wild roosters can bring disease.

This is not accurate information by any stretch. Postings in this thread should be supplemented by parties with first hand knowledge.

Look up Chicken Psychology 002. It's very knowledgeable about how to break up rooster fights. You got to catch the roosters first for this method. Of course, your situation is different, because gamefowl are way more aggressive than most. But if you are able to somehow establish one of the wild roosters into your flock, you will have some great protection against other roosters.
Another method (if you manage to tame one of 'em) is this:
The people in this video keeps a rooster in a small pen. He studies the flock for a few days. After a while, he's let out. He'll most likely start a fight in a couple minutes or less, and when that happens immediately put him back into his cage. Next day, do the same. Then the next, and the next. After a while, the rooster won't try to start a fight. It will take a very long time but at the end of the day, your old rooster won't die, your new rooster will protect his girls, and the wild roosters will have a tougher chance of getting them the next time. Wish you luck with those buggers.

Thanks for the good info, very interesting. I am not sure that is practical for me, but a very interesting video. My situation is different from the norm probably because I live in a lawless crazy place ! Haha..

Back
Top Bottom