"Wild" Rouen duck

Don’t ever feel guilty for saving a life, is domestic ducks that have been released onto water may live for a while before something gets them. But They don’t have near a chance of survival as their wild cousins.
That makes me so sad. The domestic ducks at the ponds nearby seem to be doing well, but they have a massive flock of both domestic and wild and the ponds are very large with lots of vegetation and wetlands for them to hide in. The creek is a bit different. I see teenagers harass the geese and people sending their dogs in the creek when the are supposed to be leashed. I've become a crazy lady who patrols the area. this is the creek behind my house, it goes for super long way along the birding trail. These birds are just a fraction of who come up to be fed now lol. But poor Jimmey the rouen (my son picked the name and spelling lol) is terrified when there are so many up here.
20190717_202823.jpg
20190717_202837.jpg

Yes, this is where I am at, it's hard. She is so scared all the time and many of the other birds are quite mean to her, she could relax in my yard away from the stress, she knows my home and me, but she knows the creek too. I also really wonder about the other mallards with her. This creek is on a nature path and connects to a 55 acre nature reserve with 5 ponds that starts about 20ft from my house. There are quite a few various domestic ducks and geese with the wild ducks and geese out at the ponds but they stay separate from the ducks in the creek. Many of the wild birds in our area don't migrate so these may or may not, but they way they all showed up together with no mama, and they way they were so friendly and trusting right away makes me wonder if they had all been domestic. The mallards feet are not marked however.

I didn't even think about diseases, that is a good point because the rouen definitely would need friends and I would really love to get cayuga ducklings at some point. But then I wonder if they would be exposed anyway with such a large amount of wild ducks directly on the other side of my fence all day long. When I go out to feed these girls I now have 24 other mallards and 3 goose families who come to me too lol. They were out there before we moved here, but they got the memo that I had food and come to me now every time I go in my backyard lol. I see coyotes regularly in the pasture on the other side of the creek and I hate that this girl couldn't fly away if she needed to. Just a hard situation.
They sold Cayuga's at my tsc, I think they came in as extras as they only had two and I was there as soon as the box came in.

They sold Cayuga's at my tsc, I think they came in as extras as they only had two and I was there as soon as the box came in.
Oh that's awesome, I had read they are kind of hard to find. They are so beautiful. We have a TSC not far so if the farm store by my house doesn't have them I'll check there. I was thinking I may have to order them.

Oh that's awesome, I had read they are kind of hard to find. They are so beautiful. We have a TSC not far so if the farm store by my house doesn't have them I'll check there. I was thinking I may have to order them.
You probably will have to. I went through a lot to have first choice on getting ducks at tsc :) I called tsc to tell me when they would get ducks in so you could do that but Chick Days is over so you will probably have to order.

You have a nice place for water fowl. Such a shame people are so non caring about animals And would send their dogs into the creek. What part of the country are you in? I just read of a TSC that is going to have fall chick days. So might be a good idea to check your local TSC.

Back
Top Bottom