1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wild Tom Turkey vs RI Red Rooster - Chicken Drama

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by McNugget, Mar 15, 2010.

1. McNugget

McNugget Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2010
    Upstate, SC
    My RI Red Rooster gets aggressive sometimes (especially if he's been "busy" as my daughter, McNuggetJr, puts it) but over the past week he's been really agitated. Then on Saturday morning I heard the gobbler... I suspect it to be a wild tom. I watch the turkey from time to time and notice he would make his way slowly out of the woods into the middle of the field, closer to the chicken lot. When the turkey would gobble, the rooster would answer back with a crow. Kinda funny to watch [​IMG] the rooster dance and display [​IMG] trying to keep the turkey at a safe distance from his ladies... with a 6 ft fence between him and the turkey... [​IMG]! Don't know how long this went on before the turkey gave up for the day, but then he was back Sunday morning and it started all over again.

Maybe I should sell tickets!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Aww! hes protecting his girlies..
    Ya got a good roo there! [​IMG]

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    What a good boy you have! I think that would be cool to watch.

4. Gray Ghost

Gray Ghost Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2010
    Sounds like an opportunity for you to shoot a turkey dinner, if they are in season where you are located. Now that's an idea -- lure in the wild gobbler with a few hens...hmmmmm.

GG

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by