Wild Turkeys Bothering my Mixed Flock!

How do I get to the top of the telephone pole where the wire comes in? That is where the squirrels chewed on the wire. I don't have a ladder tall enough and I'm old and don't climb very well anymore.

That's a challenge. First thing that comes to mind is use one of those garden mixing jugs that connects to a water hose. Make your concoction of pepper "Juice" and put on a mask and goggles, then spray up towards the pole. Best of luck, if I was close I'd gladly help.

Pepper juice is a good idea.

For the turkeys, may be a long term fix, but maybe a farm dog? We have a huge flock that lives in our area (counted over 50 individual adults a few yr ago) that used to come up all the time until they realized we have dogs. The dogs dont even stay with our turkeys at night.

I just googled for Florida laws, and wild turkeys.
This news article actually had the handiest summary:
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/state/florida/article196829674.html
"turkeys are not considered nuisance wildlife under the nuisance wildlife rule"
"Turkeys are game species, so the birds are protected and can’t be taken outside of designated legal hunting seasons — which begins in March. And even then you need a hunting license before you start picking them off."

I think that means that Florida does have rules about nuisance wildlife and what you can do to them--but turkeys are special, so you have to wait for hunting season. :(

I agree with the folks who suggest contacting the local authorities; or you could somehow put up with the situation until hunting season, then get a hunting license and plan on having turkey for dinner.

Thank you all for your great answers!
I contacted Fish and Wildlife department and they said we do have two hunting seasons in Florida for turkeys. One in the fall, (soon), and one in spring. Females can not be hunted only the toms. If the dumb turkeys return and it’s within the dates of the hunting season I can do the hunting within my property without any licenses. If I have someone else,(ahem, with more hunting experience,) hunt them in my property they will need the two licenses. One for the turkey and one for hunting! Here is the link if someone is interested in the complete info.
PD: I prefer to leave the hunting for the professionals. I have several neighbors that hunt and know what they are doing!
https://myfwc.com/hunting/season-dates/

Thank you all for your great answers!
I contacted Fish and Wildlife department and they said we do have two hunting seasons in Florida for turkeys. One in the fall, (soon), and one in spring. Females can not be hunted only the toms. If the dumb turkeys return and it’s within the dates of the hunting season I can do the hunting within my property without any licenses. If I have someone else,(ahem, with more hunting experience,) hunt them in my property they will need the two licenses. One for the turkey and one for hunting! Here is the link if someone is interested in the complete info.
PD: I prefer to leave the hunting for the professionals. I have several neighbors that hunt and know what they are doing!
https://myfwc.com/hunting/season-dates/
We have fall and spring out here as well except spring is our only bearded turkey hunt. Fall we can buy up to 4 permits and take either sex

Why not quarantine them then add them to your flock? Maybe they want in... :confused:

Wow, what state is that, Wyoming?

@R2elk's comment "Totally illegal" was in reference to catching wild turkeys and placing them in their flock. All subspecies of Wild Turkey (Eastern, Osceola, Gould's, Merriam's, and Rio Grande) are protected. You can not harvest them from the wild for domestication in the form of unhatched fertile eggs, poults, or any other bird. Additionally due to the massive conservation effort to get their population numbers back up from the indiscriminate hunting and habitat destruction in earlier centuries, they have strict hunting seasons that are enforced at various times throughout the states.

Also it is indeed illegal to shoot them. Or shoot at them when their season isn't open. A Game Warden is not going to see the difference. People are going to do whatever they want. Someone earlier mentioned a relative shot a bald eagle and buried it after they caught it eating one of their chickens. Regardless of the fact that it was illegal they did it anyway.

I do wish that people's first reactions to wild animals being wild animals wasn't to kill them or punish them for doing what comes naturally. The wild turkeys are essentially being called in by your domestic flock. You can clearly see the toms squaring off with your males in one of the photos you posted. A dog would probably be your best bet for keeping them out of the fenced in area around the chain link runs you have your birds in. The only other solution would be to erect a solid barrier that extends higher than the turkeys can see in order to limit their interaction. And your flock's vocalizations are still going to encourage them coming in to investigate.

Hi! Good news! Wild turkeys left in their own! Also learned a lot about hunting season in Florida and when to hunt them. Also, my hen stayed put, did not go with the wild youngsters! so all is well. Thank you for all your help! As always I learn a lot from you all! Merry Christmas!

Back
Top Bottom