Wild Wyandottes! What should I do?

Pics
I agree, if they are layers they are worth having but depending where you live, they might have gotten run off and got lost so may like a safe place to live.

A couple days ago my neighbors called, explaining that there were chickens in their yard! I went over to investigate and found two pretty gold laced wyandottes (Atleast I think that's what they are!) Any ideas on what to do? Should I try to catch them? Leave them? Are they too old to lay...? The rest of the family doesn't really want to have anything to do with them, although if they would be giving eggs, maybe? I don't know what to do! all advice appreciated!
(I'll try to get a picture of them at some point)
bring them home and keep them safe until you find out where they came from

The pullets and Wyandotte in the middle back are 21 weeks in this photo. Also the day she lay her first egg.

Attachments

• Resized_20200519_111139.jpeg
    Resized_20200519_111139.jpeg
    151.8 KB · Views: 24
  • Resized_20200519_111157.jpeg
    Resized_20200519_111157.jpeg
    225.8 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Might be easier to catch after dark if you know where they are nesting. Bring some Black Oil Sunflower seeds-they might be interested in the treats. Bring a cardboard box to put them in, with the lid closd they will calm down. May want to quarantine them to make sure they don’t bring any issues with them. They look healthy, though. Make sure you have an adult with you with all the other wildlife around. They are beautiful birds!!

I'm glad you got them! No more scary nights for them🐔. I'm also surprised reading peoples runaway chicken stories! I'm glad I have a bunch of stockers that are always by my ankles. When they DO get adventurous and get to my neighbor yard, it's a hassle to herd them back to my yard becuase they're so unfazed by me. I usually end up picking up the stubborn ring leader and walking him back to my yard 🤣

A couple days ago my neighbors called, explaining that there were chickens in their yard! I went over to investigate and found two pretty gold laced wyandottes (Atleast I think that's what they are!) Any ideas on what to do? Should I try to catch them? Leave them? Are they too old to lay...? The rest of the family doesn't really want to have anything to do with them, although if they would be giving eggs, maybe? I don't know what to do! all advice appreciated!
(I'll try to get a picture of them at some point)

Back
Top Bottom