Wildlife-friendly wood sealer?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by BrynnRDH, Mar 12, 2011.

1. BrynnRDH

BrynnRDH In the Brooder

Mar 10, 2011
    Anyone have any recommendations for the outside of my coop? We don't want to do siding (don't know how to put it on really) and don't want to leave the wood bare to the elements. Is there any sealer or stain that will work? Then can we paint over the sealer? Thanks in advance!

2. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller

Quote:You might try a Verithane or Spar varnish. Though if you want to change the color you should stain it the color you want. Verithane is something I use on my Carriage parts. It lasts forever um er or until its damaged by a concussion of some sort. Horses are hard on wood. But there is a fellow that has a shake shingle house on my block that does a verithane finish on it and it is absolutely beautiful
    These parts are out 24/7. Read up on Verithane.... or Spar varnish. pretty interesting stuff designed for a Marine application.

3. elmo

elmo Crowing

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    By "wildlife friendly" do you mean you're concerned about something that's not toxic to chickens, or is your concern generally environmental?

Chickens don't chew on wood the way many parrots do, so as long as whatever you use is completely dry and odor free by the time you put the chickens into the coop, anything you use will be fine. We use Australian Timber oil on pretty much all our exterior wood, coops, runs, fence, etc.

4. jafo

jafo Songster

May 2, 2009
    Linseed oil,,,,,,,,and lots of it.[​IMG]

5. kestrel42

kestrel42 In the Brooder

Mar 7, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    I like TimberPro UV Internal Wood stabilizer. Its a local company to me, but they do ship. A seriously safe, gree product that really works wonders!

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Paint is all the sealer you need -- there is absolutely no need whatsoever to put anything underneath it (other than primer, which is really just another version of paint).

Do a good job -- well-prepared wood, and several THIN rather than one or two thick coats of paint -- and it will last longer, and protect better, than any clear sealer product can.

Pat

7. BrynnRDH

BrynnRDH In the Brooder

Mar 10, 2011
    Thanks everyone! Yes, I was just concerned about the paint or sealer being safe for the chickens. Now I'll have to figure out what color to paint the coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: