Wildlife Rehab

Really young rabbits are hard to care for. They only eat once or twice a day from what I hear, and the rest of the time they just snuggle together in silence. Its hard to know when to feed them and when they are full.

I help a friend regularly that has a wildlife rehab license. It is so much fun. We have had baby deer, baby fox, oppossums(my favorite) rabbits,squirrels, owls, hawks, and birds. You will love it!

I help a friend regularly that has a wildlife rehab license. It is so much fun. We have had baby deer, baby fox, oppossums (my favorite) rabbits,squirrels, owls, hawks, and birds. You will love it!

That's so awesome. You're lucky.
smile.png

I've always thought baby opossums were some of the cutest little baby animals out there.

I know I haven't posted in a little while, I couldn't get a Rehab license until my birthday. Now that I am old-enough to go through the mentoring program I'm very excited to begin and will keep you all updated as it goes along.

This year there weren't many wild animals in needing of saving on our farm. Possibly because our dogs are older and so don't go outside as much. LOL. : )

Hi everyone been reading this thread so enjoyable!
I'm a mom in us
Dogs,birds,little this little of that.
Anyone know how to reroute a huge snapper that keeps wanting to lay eggs here each year? I have to drag her off with multiple gardening takes she's so feisty. I'm scared her eggs will get trampled on in the mid pit where the kids play with dump trucks. Advice would be so useful!
Thanks

I know I haven't posted in a little while, I couldn't get a Rehab license until my birthday. Now that I am old-enough to go through the mentoring program I'm very excited to begin and will keep you all updated as it goes along.

This year there weren't many wild animals in needing of saving on our farm. Possibly because our dogs are older and so don't go outside as much. LOL.  : )

Hang in there gitabook. Keep at it&you'll be saving all types of critters before I know it!

Hi everyone been reading this thread so enjoyable!
I'm a mom in us
Dogs,birds,little this little of that.
Anyone know how to reroute a huge snapper that keeps wanting to lay eggs here each year? I have to drag her off with multiple gardening takes she's so feisty. I'm scared her eggs will get trampled on in the mid pit where the kids play with dump trucks. Advice would be so useful!
Thanks

If you have any ponds or rivers with-in a few miles of you then you can try moving her there. We've moved snappers from our yard that were trying to lay because we have dogs that try to attack them and get bitten. We lift them by the tail and put them in a bucket and drive them to a large, safe pond at our neighbors who let us do so. Be careful with lifting them, since their heavy shell can weigh down their tail, but lifting them any other way is dangerous because of sharp claws and beak.

We've helped to incubate wild turtle eggs and then release the hatchlings in our friends pond as well. They have three of them and streams, so the animals can choose the habitat of their preference and it is near-by so they aren't being introduced into non-native habitat.

I hope this helps. : )

If you have any ponds or rivers with-in a few miles of you then you can try moving her there. We've moved snappers from our yard that were trying to lay because we have dogs that try to attack them and get bitten. We lift them by the tail and put them in a bucket and drive them to a large, safe pond at our neighbors who let us do so. Be careful with lifting them, since their heavy shell can weigh down their tail, but lifting them any other way is dangerous because of sharp claws and beak.

We've helped to incubate wild turtle eggs and then release the hatchlings in our friends pond as well. They have three of them and streams, so the animals can choose the habitat of their preference and it is near-by so they aren't being introduced into non-native habitat.

I hope this helps.  : )

Thanks it defiantly does. We have a large stream that connects to the closest big river, so turtles,deer,frogs,ducks all sorts of little critters are always being "born". There used to be quite a few beaver here as well but no one's seen any in ages. Know people say they are a nuisance but still kind of sad. Anyhow thanks for the tips& glad to be a part of this cool thread!

Right now I'm researching the information on how to get a license to rehabilitate local wildlife and it's kind of complicated. I know they want people to do it the right way, and I know a lot of people don't, but there are a lot of different rules to follow. The rules are there for a reason though, so I plan to stick to them the best I can.

Anyways, I'm going to try to sign up for one of the workshops on Category 1 species (non-rabies vector mammals). I'll have to get other training for RVS mammals and migratory birds. I'm pretty sure anyone is allowed to work with non-native birds such as House Sparrows and Starlings, and even keep them as pets. However, just working with House Sparrows and Starlings would get kind of boring. : )

The next up-coming Workshop is on July 10th, so I'm going to see if I can make it to that one. It's an RVS workshop, but I don't plan to start with such species until after I get use to working with Category 1 species. I'm not sure I'm even allowed to until after I begin with Non-RVS. Not only that, but the idea of getting rabies vaccinations regularly is kind of spooky. I know rabies is deadly once symptoms appear, and that's creepy to think about, but getting injected with the stuff every year doesn't seem like it'd be all that fun.

RVS species that you are trained to work with are Foxes, Bats, Skunks, Raccoons, and I'm sure Coyotes too, though I'm not sure how that works. Also, I'm sure that American Mink, American Badgers, Weasels, and other less commonly seen carnivorous mammals are also sometimes taken in and I hope the class will cover that as well, since I want to be able to help any animal that needs it.

Right now with my foster kittens I'm getting an idea of what raising orphaned carnivores is like and its a lot of work and dedication, time spent waking up at night and mixing a batch of formula before feeding each baby, stimulating them to use the bathroom, writing that down to keep track of it, weighing them, and so much more. A very good way to start learning how to rehab wildlife is to work with foster kittens, puppies, ferrets, rabbits, rodents, parrots, finches, ect in captivity before moving on to wild species.

Back
Top Bottom