Will 6 week old chicks imprint?

TheChickenProject

Chirping
13 Years
May 20, 2010
Does anyone know if six week old EE's will "imprint" or become friendly to new owners?

The chicks we ordered for my daughter just hatched but we will not be getting them for six weeks. We are concerned that the chicks will not be as friendly as what we read about here in the forums. I know they all have different personalities but is it a neccessity to get them while they are real young? My girls would like to be able to hold and pet the birds, maybe even have them follow around in the yard.

My Ameraucana's were 5 weeks when I got them. They really had the "don't kill me", clump in a corner attitude. I held them fairly often anyway. They are now 19 weeks old and pretty friendly. A couple like to be petted, a couple don't. They will follow me anywhere though, and they come running to the gate when I go outside. I'm eagerly awaiting my first blue egg.
clap.gif

They'll warm up to you! With lots of treats to bribe them and plenty of attention, they'll start to like you. I didn't get my very first chicks until they were nearly three months old. Absolutely terrified of me at first, but with lots of attention they are now 7 lb lap chickens.

Back
Top Bottom