will a bark collar work on a chicken?

This is legit question, and deserves a real answer. If you love your chickens, you will try anything to keep them, even drastic measures. The shock is quick, instant and not deadly, for dogs. I am not sure about a smaller chicken. I've never used a "bark" collar but many dog owners (responsible ones at that) use a shock collar as a training device. It can work. Good luck with your noise, maybe you will need to get a quieter breed if all else fails. If you insulate your coop, it could get too hot without an AC unit.

ETA: If it works, patent it (chicken sized) and you'll get to ritire very very soon.

Last edited:
I like the question. With my dogs I have used the collars and it has tought them to not bark when the collar is on, and that it is O.K. to bark when it is off. I have small dogs and small dog low power collars, and the collar is triggered by multiple barks, not single. They also have learned 'Quiet barking' to aviod the collar shock. ---If my chickens were louder I would give it a shot. I have doubts it would work given tone and vibrations, but if a collar can be used on a 10 pound dog, why not a chicken. I think my chickens are tougher than toy breed dogs, and doubt the harm, assuming properly sized. I think it is worth a shot on a loud roo. But it takes several barks in a row to get the thing going. --In spite of the noise of my chickens it is nothing compared to the darn Beagle Kennel down the road, and the baying of the Coonhounds. Dogs are so much more of a noise problem, and so easily controled. --I have asked my neighbors about the chickens and the response is that "can"t hear them" and "not really". Maybe there is no problem. I was keeping the girls in till noon, and back in at dusk, but it seems that dogs and loud cars are the problem, and I also really can barely hear them at the neighbors house 50 feet away unless I tune in. They now go out at dawn.

I'm sorry, I shouldn't laugh-I know you're having a problem. It's just the thought of a bunch of hens with collars! *snickers/snorts*

Seriously, I hope you find a solution that works for you.
fl.gif

Ok, that is a really good question, please don't be ashamed!! We were all newbies once!
My opinion would be, try the least painful method first... Try the ultrasonic thing, if that doesn't work, why not try a vibration collar, one that vibrates instead of shocking? You don't want to harm you'r chickies, and it's hard to tell if a shock is going to kill them or not... I'd lean more towards not, if the collar was for a small dog.
But who knows? You can be a pioneer, and let us know how it works, for Pete's sake!! Keep in mind that a chicken's neck is ALOT smaller than it looks!
smile.png
Good luck!!

Quote: The hens are probably noisy because it hurts to lay an egg I would imagine.

I always thought they made noise becuse they were "proud", mine never sound like they are in pain. Maybe a maiden pullet, but never a hen.
celebrate.gif

Last edited:
A bark collar works for a certain sound decibal rating. I'm not sure if a chicken makes the same decibal rating sound or not.

Just as a recommendation, you can try getting a more docile, less skittish breed and it will solve most of your noise problems.

You can't go wrong with Orpingtons.

That's funny my Orpington is my LOUDEST and meanest to my other birds. She's also most aggressive towards me and and an egg eater . She's listed on craigslist currently..

My australorps are my most docile and friendly birds

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom