will a bark collar work on a chicken?

lau.gif
i wish it would work, but in all honestly i wont even use them on my dogs.

ok first bird died, second is in a coma and third is twitching on the ground...

no, just kidding...

our neighbors are very close to us (our lot is very small) and we are just worried sick about losing our chickens.

i think our chickens have us trained really well. we have them fenced off in a part of our side yard and originally they stayed in their coop at night and wake up at the crack of dawn and started "calling" us to let them out. so we decided to leave the gate open so they could come out on their own. then 2 out of 3 start laying. they always cackle before they lay and when there is a line for the nesting box they are practically yelling at each other. so i start puttin both chickens in the same nesting box and that seems to quiet them down a bit. i also find that by giving them some treats they will quiet down for a while.

we don't mind the noise at all. we have a fish pond with a noisy waterfall and we love the "noise." but our neighborhood's association is rather unfriendly and we just have a feeling that we will lose the chickens soon if they are indeed so loud naturally.

She didnt say she was going to use a shock collar...she said she was thinking of the kind that put off the ultrasonic wave that humans cannot hear. but I wouldnt try either. Maybe you can try to get them some more nexting boxes or keep them in the coop until they are done laying.
idunno.gif

Ok... I have 3 dogs, and all 3 are trained with a shock collar that has the vibrate feature - no need to shock them, therefore the collars aren't cruel
cool.png
Oh yeah, and I made my husband try it on himself at Cabelas before we bought them
lol.png
lol.png

I probably wouldn't try it on my chickens though. For one thing, I don't know how you'd ever get it tight enough, secondly... They are chickens - 'nough said, right
wink.png
Try the extra nesting boxes - I know mine don't like to share. As for the neighbors... We do what we want, but we also live on a farm in a rural area, and are zoned Agricultural - doesn't matter what the neighbors like or don't like
tongue.png
Maybe some free eggs would help?
clap.gif

We had a stand alone ultrasonic anti-bark thing (not a collar so works for all dogs in the area). It did distract two of the dogs from barking as much, BUT you need a certain sound decibel/pitch (sorry I'm not a music person) to set it off. My toddler's yelling would set it off and I felt that wasn't fair to the dogs so I returned it. It didn't hurt anyone though - so try it, just keep the box and receipt handy in case it doesn't work.

I had a real bark collar for my GSD, the "shock" kind - it was much more humane than the spray type for him - he just can't handle things sprayed in/around his face. So don't assume what is or isn't humane if you don't know ALL the details.

Quote:
i can vouch for this ... i used a shock collar on my dogs for a wireless gate (wire buried 6 inches under the ground for a perimeter

before putting it on the dogs - i tested it on myself

... some people think "shock collar, how painful and mean"

let me tell you from personal experience .... and some human testing (myself)

1. it is not painful - it is startling --- think of the tingle when you put your tongue on a 9-volt battery ... it tingles -- shock collars tingle, but they are unpleasant because they are startling because even if you know it is coming -- it is still a surprise -- it doesn't *hurt*

2. it is not mean -- it is negative reinforcement -- some spank, some yell, others have to find a method for instant negative reinforcement when they unable to do so for whatever reason

i've been shocked by dog collars, 110-outlets, 12-volt car battery, 24 volt car batteries, -48vdc phone system, and once by a 5k generator.

if i were to make a scale between 1 and 10 .... tongue on 9-volt being 1 and 110-volt circuit being 10

i would rate the shock collar at 3.5-4.5 ..... doesn't hurt - but it sure gets your attention

Last edited:
are... you... serious...? I can't even fathom anyone considering this as an option! You've got to be joking! good one! hahahaha, next we'll use cattle prods on our hens to get them back in the coop right? hahahaha!
wink.png

Quote:
Is that bad???
gig.gif

I have the same problem in the mornings with my hens, in fact, they woke me up at 5:30 this morning and had to run outside to quiet them a bit. Most my neighbors don't care and are used to them squawking, but 5:30 was a bit early today. Bark collars do not work on dogs (or children! hahhahah just kidding) so I wouldn't waste the money on them for any animal.

Welcome to the forum and I hope you find a solution. I know my chickens are very spoiled and will go absolutely crazy if I do not give them treats everyday. You would think they are being killed from the noise they make!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom